Help on switching to T-5's

Smann

I am currently running 72" PFO ballast and end caps with Actinic white and three Actinic blue. The lights are mounted in the hood 10.5" from the tank top-12" from the water. I am considering swapping out and going to T-5 retro fit. I could lower the T-5's during the new installation. Looking for kits online I havent found any 72" avaiable, I could go with 60" as my corals tier up towards the top of the tank. I assume I can not use any of the PFO equip I now have.

The reason I'm considering this switch is since I started my refugium and put in a Current USA 24" fixture with 4 24w T-5's for my reverse lighting cycle and and frag tank ,the coral frags under the T-5 are a much deeper color and actually grow and attach faster then in my main display

Ideas or Info on this? (scratch)

the coral frags under the T-5 are a much deeper color and actually grow and attach faster then in my main display

Ideas or Info on this

You need some daylight bulbs in that mix at lease 65k. I would keep your current PFO and endacps and just run Aticinics, and go ahead and get some T5's with daylight bulbs 65k's

Why not go all the way and get MH's. These http://www.customaquatic.com/estore/control/product/~product=LT-PX-250-DE-14 inside these reflectors http://www.customaquatic.com/estore/control/product/~product=LT-CVCV-LBPEN-DE with some e-ballast will really rock your corals.

OK...let me start by saying I know next to nothing about almost all reef related things. I am in learning process. I have heard people refer to power compacts as CF's, PC's, and PF's. Maybe I am confused. If so disregard my messages. I am a little(nutty)and(scratch).

I do have MH and I'm running actinics I was looking for some help on finding parts to switch my VHO over to T-5. I would need ballast, endcaps,feflectors, bulbs in 72" or 60" and I cant find any locally does anyone know if they can be ordered/

thanks

72" T5 high output lamps are not available anywhere. A ballast doesn't exist for it.

60" is the longest you'll find, and that's actually what I would use on your tank. Fluorescent lamps spread light well enough to where you wouldn't notice the 12" in your aquarium without the bulb directly over it. I'm running a 3' 6 lamp on my 4' 90. You would never be able to tell if I had the canopy closed.

60" lamps are the brightest lamps inch x inch available as well. They run on 80W each. If you doubled the lamps, say you decided to run 3' lamps side x side, that's still less wattage, 78W. Then you need to start considering lamp replacement costs, and it would just be expensive!

I would run 4 x 80W as supplemental lighting. Giesemann is the only lamp manufacturer making these bulbs, so I would pick 2 80W Pure Actinic, and 2 80W Actinic+ One of each of either side of the halides, preferably Actinic+ in position 1 and 3 front to back.

You can run a pair of Ice-Cap 660's or Workhorse 7 ballasts for this. Advance makes a 1x80W ballasts as well. The Workhorse 7 can run 2 80W T5's, and is the cheapest option. (Works great though)

Hope to help.

Sam

72" T5 high output lamps are not available anywhere. A ballast doesn't exist for it.

60" is the longest you'll find, and that's actually what I would use on your tank. Fluorescent lamps spread light well enough to where you wouldn't notice the 12" in your aquarium without the bulb directly over it. I'm running a 3' 6 lamp on my 4' 90. You would never be able to tell if I had the canopy closed.

60" lamps are the brightest lamps inch x inch available as well. They run on 80W each. If you doubled the lamps, say you decided to run 3' lamps side x side, that's still less wattage, 78W. Then you need to start considering lamp replacement costs, and it would just be expensive!

I would run 4 x 80W as supplemental lighting. Giesemann is the only lamp manufacturer making these bulbs, so I would pick 2 80W Pure Actinic, and 2 80W Actinic+ One of each of either side of the halides, preferably Actinic+ in position 1 and 3 front to back.

You can run a pair of Ice-Cap 660's or Workhorse 7 ballasts for this. Advance makes a 1x80W ballasts as well. The Workhorse 7 can run 2 80W T5's, and is the cheapest option. (Works great though)

Hope to help.

Sam

Good call Sam. So Giessman are the only makers of 5' bulbs Sam?

You could also stagger the bulbs Steve if you are worried about that 6" on each side. Just a thought. Remember even though that Icecap 660's rock they overdrive the bulb which puts out more output but also degrades the life of the bulb. I have 8 5' T5's that will be over my tank Steve. I might add two more even.

Excellent!...Just what I wanted to hear. I was looking at a TOTM(Poland) on RC and it looked like the fixture went the lenth of the 72" tank, 60 " would be just fine. How about the !2" from the tank-OK?, I assume the reflectors are avaiable or a set of smaller ones

Thanks Sam!

I'll contact you when I'm ready

Steve

Thanks Ryan, You have plenty of room, add some more and lets get that thing booted up!