Power Outages and the cold. My plan--Whats yours?

deans7269

I bought a 400w Black and decker Powermate 400 from Walmart for 98.00 AC power inverter/Compressor/light/jumper box 15+lbs about the weight and size of a car battery. Its max power is 400watts. This should power my 300w extra heater. Also for 2.00 I got 15 1 gallon size ziplock freezer bags. I can fill these with hot water from my Water heater before the water gets cold. Also cover it with a sleeping bag. I guess during the day they would have to settle for regular outdoor light with the drapes open until the power returns. I guess one could also use battery backup for PCs as well. These are also AC powered. Most pcs now are at least 400w power supplies.

This Ziplock bag idea would also work in reverse if the AC goes out one could fill them with cold water or even ice cubes. Im guessing you would have to watch the themometer constantly checking it every half hour or so.

Has anyone had any experiences you want to share? Do you have more ideas on how to manage for a couple of days without power? What things would be more important? Etc.

We lost power for about 5 hours yesterday morning

At 6:00 im the morning we lost power. We live in a older home and can close off our large living room with one door at one end and a curtain at the other. (decorative and opened when not in use) My husband made a hot fire and I brought all my candles for light but more importantly to warm the air. My tank went from 76 done to 72.7 still. I was getting pretty worried. I really should of wrapped the tank, but I guess I wanted to see if my fish were in stress.

What I was worried about just as much as the heat loss was the oxygen loss. I took a cup and filled it with water and poured it back in several times. I had a noisy battery operated air pump that I could of used if the fish started looking stressed. They all seemed fine the whole time, so I never used it. My husband said next year we will get a generator.

I like the idea of buying that little generator thing you got at Walmart.

Before I got a chiller, I use ice cubes (water went through RO/DI unit) in the sump. Would put them straight in there, ice cubes in place of top off water.

I would really be enjoying this weather alot more if I wasnt so worried about my tank.

Tammy

Good plan, I keep a 3,000 watt inverter close by, the key is water flow, secondly temp, and last lights, everything should do fine for 3 days at least with no light, as I have done three days multiple times with no issues, however with my inverter I just plug the power into it and go, this is the best way as I am usually out of town when power goes (go figure huh) so its easier for wife or neighbor to deal with it.

If I don't plug in lights I can run the system for a long time off a car battery, I don't know how long the battery lasts as it never has died but I don't need much power in my tank either (I disable the lights so save battery when I am there).

After some extended power outages in the past we installed a 5000w gen with a transfer panel. I have 6 house circuits and can alternatly run frige, freezer, heater, some lights and one of the two circuits for the tank for the pumps and heater.

Since we installed the panel a few years ago we have only lost power once for a few hours... go figure

I bear things are pretty bad. I myself am sitting here in sunny Fresno California. We set up our generator before we left and gave our neighbor instructions on what to plug in. It should easily run the pumps skimmer and heaters. The power in the neighborhood below lost power last night. Rylie's friend and her dad came to my house to charge phones and watch the rest of the game! Everything looks good except I lost one of my clowns. It appears that the ich probably did it in. I will just sit and pray that everything goes ok from here on out. For me and for All of you up in Oregon!

Kris

Hopefully it does not come to needing a generator but if need be I have a small 1500 watter that can be run. If I need more I have about 3 big guys at work that are forklift loadable but will run alot of stuff. I have not lost power in the 12yrs I have been here(knock on wood)

I have a pump for each tank on a computer back-up power thingie, and according to the manual it should run the pumps for several hours.

For the freshwater tank, we have battery operated air pumps, if needed.

Other than that, we will be out of luck if it comes down to anything worse than a few hours outage, though.

I will run the wood stove wide open and fire up my generator :) No problems here. The only bummer is the generator will not power the home theatre - have to keep the freezers and tank running instead :(

I did make it out shopping today, the roads were crazy and there were a lot of unprepared drivers out.

Last week my wife talked me into going to GIJoes and buying a 3000 watt generator. I don't think she wanted to watch me freak out in an outage. It only cost me $299 on sale and is pretty small. It is one gadget I hope I never have to use. I also have a couple battery powered air pumps to help the cause.

Last week my wife talked me into going to GIJoes and buying a 3000 watt generator. I don't think she wanted to watch me freak out in an outage. It only cost me $299 on sale and is pretty small. It is one gadget I hope I never have to use. I also have a couple battery powered air pumps to help the cause.

Have you ran this yet to see if it works? I looked at those and was wondering how loud they were. I know the Honda ones make almost no nois at all.