Georgia aquarium trip

Randy-S

Hey guys,

I have not posted on any boards as of late since i have no tank after my move and not much to post about. However I did have to go back to Georgia on an business trip and took a day to go to the Georgia aquarium and wow was it worth it!(clap)

The aquarium offers a dive program were they let 6 divers a day dive in there 6.3 million gallon display tank that contains over ten thousand fish including four whale sharks

GeorgiaAquarium063.jpg

The bummer is its booked out 3-6 months in advanced including the day I had set aside to go to the aquarium.

However on the day of my visit i gave one last effort to big, borrow or sneak my way into the the dive program and lucked out they had a cancellation. Just like that i am in and diving with the giants!

And wow what a dive! Unfortunately they do not allow any dive cameras in the tank but i did get a lot of shots from the viewing panels and wanted to share some of the things i seen while diving.

Of course there were the whale sharks

GeorgiaAquarium008.jpg

GeorgiaAquarium012.jpg

GeorgiaAquarium030.jpg

GeorgiaAquarium033.jpg

GeorgiaAquarium040.jpg

GeorgiaAquarium043.jpg

• 5 months later...

Seeing this for the first time, Randy, did you lug gear out there, or do they provide/rent it to you? I may just give them a call and set up a visit for the next time they have some room on the waiting list... but as you may guess, my current rig is set for cold water :)

Nope they don't allow any outside gear they are very careful in what they allow in the aquarium as you can imagine.

Very worth it if you can get in, where else can you see whale sharks, hammerheads, mantas, wobygone and guitar sharks all in one dive?

just cert to dive and a visa ;)

the other divers I went with were brand new divers I think they had under 12 dives each. If I remember the deepest part of the tank is 40-45'

They also offer a snorkel experience for none divers. I would did that too if it was not sold out.

Georgia Aquarium

You have some awsome pics there. Not to be a hijacker but I have a trip planned to GA on May 31st and of course it includes a day at the aquarium! (My main reason for going(whistle), JUST DON'T TELL THE BOYFRIEND:p)

I cannot wait!!!!

You have some awsome pics there. Not to be a hijacker but I have a trip planned to GA on May 31st and of course it includes a day at the aquarium! (My main reason for going(whistle), JUST DON'T TELL THE BOYFRIEND:p)

I cannot wait!!!!

Pay for the behind the scenes tour its waaaay worth it!

GA Aquarium

Pay for the behind the scenes tour its waaaay worth it!

Do you know how much it is??? I will check into it and if we can take the kids then I definatly will!!! If not I may not be able to this time around. There will be future trips to Atlanta so if not now then later. I am also going to invest in a really nice camera before I leave. I was looking at 1 today that had settings for everything! Including even a setting for AQUARIUM!!!! I cannot wait and plan to get some great shots to start my own thread when we get back.....

Any other suggestions or what was your favorite part of the aquarium???