9 hour lighting detrimental?

Guest LisaJill

Guest LisaJill

Hey guys, I currently have 2x250watt MH, they run on an 8 hour cycle (11am to 7pm), and when they shut off, blue LED moonlights come on.

I would like to extend this an hour for my own viewing pleasure, so keep them on until 8pm. Would this be harmful to the livestock? I've got an anemone, SPS, LPS, Softies and a new Crocea, as well as 4 small fish, shrimp, CUC, etc.

I kind of wish I'd gone with some actinic or something so I could have a gradual 12 hour cycle; but I can't fit any more lights in the canopy.

Thanks!

Guest LisaJill

Thanks for your input! I actually wouldn't mind a bit more algae as I really want to get a starry blenny but am not getting enough algae to support one.

I know, I know - be careful what you wish for. ;)

Or turn them on an hour later in the day, then you can have the lights on an hour later.

I have 6x54w T5HO over a 75g tank. These are supposed to be just about as good as some halides in light output. I have them on for almost 10 hours a day. I get a little bit of hair algae, but not enough to get frustrated about.

dsoz

Guest LisaJill

I'm wanting to have it on at 11 so I can look at it then too, I would just prefer a 9 hour cycle as those are the hours I want to watch the tank.

Thanks all!