salinity

stylaster

Mix up a calibration solution? Trippin, I use the teapot method. My refractometer has the ppt marks too. ;) (just funn'n ya).

I run my seahorse tank at 1.024 and my reef at 1.027. I run the seahorse tank a bit lower as the corals in there are more forgiving and the salinity makes the kidneys of the horse work less.

Just what I do.

Seawater is not a consistent 35 everywhere if you wanna be all techy about it. ;)

Glad you find my humor funny, that makes . . . well two of us now.

The only species I have noticed a difference in with salinity is the seahorse. Everything else seems not to matter so much between 1.023 and 1.027 ( the sg numbers again just to spite Matt.)

true, i'm just trying to replicate the parameters of the water where the corals in my tank are native too :D i don't want to get that techy haha 35 is what i have always been told and read, i'm sure it differs like say at the mouth of a rivers, time of year, etc. But i can't worry that much or i will drive myslef crazy haha

hmmm interesting, well i think ill stay at 1.026 seems to work well for me. I was trying to see if i would notice better polyp extension at higher or lower salinitys and see if the corals / fish where happier at one or the other. As far as i can tell doesn't make much difference viewing them externally. Maybe on the cellular level it makes a difference.