High pH?

siskiou

This is something I've never had to deal with before.

In fact, more the opposite.

IN my 120G, the pH has always been 8-8.2, with the help of kalkwasser top-off and it tended to go down, never up.

Then, two nights ago, a Koralia pump went bad and knocked out the GFCI.

I was up at 4am, trying to find the culprit, while everything but 2 pumps in the main tank was turned off.

Took me about 1/2 hour to find out which pump it was and put everything back online.

I was just about ready to get some more sleep, when I noticed the pH read at 8.8!

It had been perfectly normal during the day.

At first I thought my pH meter was giving me a wrong reading, but the test I did confirmed it.

Got it down to 8.5, and then down to 8.4 next morning.

Ever since, it keeps shooting up (right now at 8.66) and I have no idea why.

I've taken the ATO off (since yesterday) and am topping off with just RO/DI, no kalkwasser.

I'm stumped.

I dont know what is causing this, but what I can tell you is not to be too worried, and to take your time. High pH is actually a good thing IMO. I keep mine at 8.3-8.7 and everything loves it. The corals grow fast, very fast, colors are bright, i get full polyp extension, and PO4 precipitates at 8.5 pH. I think you are getting over worried. That said, I dont know what the cause is. You should be happy.