New and Old members check in.......

rmhuntley

Hello everybody,

With the addition of our newest member Jon I wanted to give everyone a chance to say hi and a little bit about you and/or the hobby.

I'll start:

My name is Roy, I"m from Portland Oregon, and I"ve been in the Hobby for about 14 months. I started out w/ a 5.5g nano(everyone said I was crazy for starting that small, but I proved them wrong..... I think)and now have made it all the way up to a 21g. Zoas are originally drew me into the hobby, they're just so colorful and often times overlooked. I admit it... I"m an addict.

On a non-reefing note, I'm a proud father of a 7yo daughter and a 5yo son.

My daughter, Kelcie

kelcie2.jpg

My son, Matthew

matt.jpg

Howdy!

I'm Stacy... happily addicted to the hobby! I researched for years prior to jumping in and getting a tank. Xmas a couple years back we ran across an established 72 bow and decided to buy it. The previous owner originally didn't want to sell to noobs, but we dazzled him with our knowledge. (laugh)

It didn't take long for us to outgrow the 72. Jay (Chief), who is my husband of almost 12 long long years, became obsessed with reef keeping. Originally the 72 was my tank. That lasted... oh, heck... it was never my tank. He was hooked the second it was set up in the house. We bought a used 240 gallon acrylic (BTW, I hate acrylic tanks!) that we cut a hole in the living room for so we could have an in wall tank. We are very happy with it!

Now of course, since Jay hi-jacked my hobby, I set up a 20 gallon long nano at the beginning of the year in which I showcase zoanthids. I love those pretty, little polyps! It's nice to be able to stick my hands in a tank and not hear someone shout, "What are you doing to my tank!" Course, Jay lets me test the water parameters. That doesn't interest him so much. Gee, thanks! :p

Aside from the tanks, the club and maintaining this website; I love all kinds of critters. We have five cats (most of which are Jay's... he is the crazy cat man), two lizards, three snakes and a pond in the backyard that houses two red-eared slider turtles. One of the turtles I rescued as it was trying to cross a busy highway in Eugene. I had to slam on my brakes and run back for her before she became a "Speedbump", which is her name! We tend to rescue animals. It's hard for either one of us to see an animal suffer.

And of course, if you don't know where Creswell is, it's about 15 minutes south of Eugene. It's a small town, which we like! And it's near a skydiving place so we regularly see people jumping out of perfectly good airplanes! (laugh)

Here's a pic of me... I'm the one who remembered to shave!

post-25-141867734139_thumb.jpg

Hi my name is Mike, (like you couldn't figure that out by the screen name). Started out a long time ago in a state far,far away (CA.). Was working down there and my boss had a tank in the office that he just couldn't handle and get set-up right. So I took over and keep it a FO tank for the year or so I was there and tried to teach him about it. After that job fell apart I moved back up here and started my own FO tank(s). At one point I had 3, (2-55's and a 40). Did that for about 5-6 years until I got divorced. Waited a few years (like 5-6)and got another 55 in 2002 and started up again as another FO tank. But it din't take long this time for me to be biten by the reef-bug. Now I have a 100 gallon tank, (that's not big enough), mostly dominated by sps'. And that's my story and I'm sticking to it.............

Hello. My name is Dave, and I reside in Newberg,Oregon. I've been reefing since Nov. 2005, but I've had fresh water for toooo many years to count. I always wanted to do salt water, but I just never got around to it. :(

I currently have a 116 gal display with a 55 gal. 'fuge, and a 24 gal. sump. My tank is a mixed reef tank with a few fish.

I'm in the process of setting up a 150 gal. display with a 25 gal. 'fuge and 47 gal sump.

Hello Everyone!!!!! Let me start by saying My husband (180Bob)and I started this hobbie about 3 years almost 4. We started with a small tank 10 gal. Then realized that it was too small so we upgraded to a 18gal. What a learning experience it has been. One of the biggest lessons learned is never to skimp on what is a must have when setting up a tank. We are currently in the process of putting together a 180 gal. Progress is slow but the more we learn the better off we will be. Our daughter Kayla loves our tank she has named every hermit crab and snail. Soooo cute. (cheer)!!!!

Hello. John Manrow here. I started keeping freshwater aquariums when I was about 8, and by 13 I got into saltwater. There was not much in the way of live corals available in 1968, but I did have a 15 gallon plexiglas tank with a sebae anemone and a couple of ocellaris clowns. I started my first 20 gallon "mini-reef" in 1987. I have been active in a few aquarium societies over the years and have also worked for retail fish stores and wholesale distributors in both California and Oregon.

My wife Constance and I live in Tigard, Oregon, which is located just out of Portland. Our kids are grown now with kids of their own, so now we have time for enjoying our hobbies. We enjoy our 40gallon reef, and a 55 gallon heavily planted tropical freshwater tank. I also have about a dozen empty tanks which are slowly being set up again thoughout our apartment. We are very happy to be part of the PNWMAS 'Family'.

2006_PNWMAS_BBQ.jpg I'm the one in the cap & PNWMAS t-shirt.

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy folks..

Brian Fox.. "foxy" to all my friends

I work at CRPC with Sully..

I used to be quite the reefer.... but moving killed my tank..and I just didnt have the funds to start one up again. So a few months ago I started a 29g FW planted tank and had great luck with that..started a new job.. and just HAD to get back into it! Details are in the members tank section

New Daddy.. my boy is just a little over six weeks old.. his name is Brody..and he is doomed with Red hair and Blue eyes just like his goofy lookin' dad. I just hope his ears dont grow out like mine did..

Hope to meet ya all real soon.

Andy

Hi, I'm Andy. I live over in the 'couve with my wife, two kids, dog, cat, and 60 gal reef tank.

I'm just getting back into aquaria, been gone for a long while. I was crazy for FW when I was a kid and through my teen years. When I got old enough for a 'real' job, I started a FO marine tank... this was back in the 1980's when most of use were running undergravel filters, and the Germans were keeping the whole skimmer-thing to themselves. I didn't do too well, and gave up in a fit of diatoms, cyano and dead Koran Angels.

It seems that everyone has their particular favorite type of critter in this hobby, some like Acros, others Zoas -- me, I'm really fond of Euphyllia sp. corals. Right now, I have a huge green Torch (got from Ahbrit), and smaller red Torch (got from Lowman) and a recovering Hammer (from Upscales). I'm on the lookout for a really nice looking green-with-purple-tips Frogspawn (divisa, not paradivisa), let me know if you see one :)

When I'm not scraping algae off everything in my tank I can usually be found playing World of Warcraft, taking pictures or building some DIY project in my shop/garage.

HI, MY NAME IS BLAINE, AND I'M A REEF JUNKY

OK so here I am. A Junky. I am constantly looking for a new fix. Acro’s monties, what ever I can find that look gooooood, and always zoooooos. Started out with FW at 8 yrs. Old. Ya know, “Fancy Guppies” and all. Later got married. First purchase was a 55 gal (that we still have) but no longer setup Hmmmm another project, after the 72 bow front.

Ok catching up to more current time. 1st salt tank was a 220 reef/fish. 5, 400w MH ECT. I all ready had a cichlid tank, 110 tall glass, Now a reef/ fish, and a 150 FW planted, then converted to a sw, then sprung a leek, and it was history , not an easy loss.

Had a 700 gal frag system setup in the garage for a couple of years. Not enough time to devote to it. So down it went. Took apart, not crash.

So currenty,110g SW r/f 2 400w XM15k, 2 VHO atinic skimmer, ca reactor, fuge. Next 160 sw f/r 3 400w xm 15k 2 vho actinic, 2 vho 10k PC skimmer , ca reactor, 72 gal bow front next. Anyway, wife and I live in Salem. She loves,,, well, really likes the tanks, when I’m not messing in them and leaving stuff all over. I mean really, a couple of rags, and I can get that cleaned up! It’s getting harder to sneek more “stuff” in the door. I do ALL work, from feeding to poooo removal and all in between.

We have 4 dogs and a large koi pond. 4 grown kids and 2 grandkids.

I’m looking forward to meeting other Reefers. I will say that I don’t pretend to know all the names of my corals or fish, just the ones that our beautifull grandkids and us give em.:)

Hi My name is Tammy, and I love Queen Angels

Hi, I live in SW Portland. I have 125 gallon FOWLR ( and anything my fish dont eat) with a 20 gallon sump and protein skimmer. Nothing fancy, it works for me. I started with saltwater aquariums when we lived in Spokane. I guy ran a fish shop out of his garage, named Coral Reef. Super nice family and great prices on fish. We moved to Texas, and I had two 125 there, but never knew other soul that had tanks. Then we moved back home (Portland) and of course I had the Air Force crate and send my aquariums here. I decided to get out of it for awhile, because I didnt think our floor could hold the tanks, and I sold them. But got the bug again and bought another 125 after someone said our house was built to last and the floor would a tank no problem. So now I have just the 125, hoping to upgrade within the year to a bigger tank. I have an adult and a juvenile queen together. Cant believe I wrote that, because I know I will get flamed. I know I need a bigger tank.

Anyway, HI!!

Hey my name is Ryan. I am your PNWMAS Treasurer. I live down south in Albany, OR. Ive been in the marine end of this hobby about a 2 years. I have a newly setup 37G Oceanic Cube w/ 10G sump. It is a mix of SPS, LPS, Rics and Zoos. I just tore down a 75G AGA RR and it is now residing in Miles (Impurs) garage till he gets it setup. On the non-reef side of things I am a proud daddy of a 2 1/2 year old named Natalie Rose. She is a kick in the pants. Literally :). I also have a girlfirend of 4 1/2 years named Anna. And to round off I have a 3 1/2 year old pug named Sienna. I think that is it. Later Ryan

hi all my name is jody as some or most of u know im a sponsor here with my business tidalzone maintenance ere in medford, ive ben in the hobby 20 some years with the last 8 doing aqua culturing im married to a great and understanding wife named amy and we just had our first little one as of this post going on 19 days old a little girl named sophie and im already wraped around her finger lol along with my aqua culturing i maintain reef systems for clients, im here to help anyway i can because back when i started there was little or no info localy and have pretty much done everything your not sopposed too or bought everything your not sopposed to lol, so ive pretty much ben there done that when it comes to mistakes but learned from them and be happy to pass on any help.:D

Hello my name is Chris. I am active duty Army stationed at FT Benning GA right now. I am originally from Wilsonville/Canby. I have about 5 years left before I will be back for good. I currently have a 46 bowfront reef tank. I have been reefing for about 5.5 years and only have the small tank because of all the moves we do. In the last 4 years I have lived in Ft Lewis, Vilseck Germany, Monteith Kosovo, FOB Normandy Iraq, and now FT Benning. Needless to say moving large tanks was out of the question lol. I have a beautiful bride Michelle who hales from Iowa and 2 children. My stepson is 10 and my daughter is 6. I love reefing and the family loves it. We are members of The Atlanta South-Eastern Marine Aquarium Society. We are very active in our club and have meetings every month. We had a behind the scenes tour of the GA aquarium that was out of this world. We were 4 feet from Ralph and Norton the whales sharks!!! Wayyyy cool!!! I am mainly into SPS. I currently have 53 corals of 39 flavors in my tank lol. Real estate is at a premium in my tank lol. We look forward to coming home to Oregon and joining the club.

Hi, I'm Nyles currently 28. I just seriously got into this hobby beggining of this year after spending lots of time studying it and deciding if it was for me, I recently moved out of Lake Oswego to the small town of Cottage Grove. I have had Freshwater since I can remember and I realized I was very bored with it, currently my dad has found a love for freshwater, so all my fw fish and tanks where donated to him. I currently spend most of my time ridding 4 wheelers (quads), snowboard, Golf, skeet and a few other sports, my hobbies usually surpass my budget as you can see, currently Im looking into a SCCA class "b" car to race at PIR, however I think the wife will kill me but who knows. My son and I spend alot of quality time in the tank, and he could name more stuff in tanks than most store owners.

Look forward to meeting you, just be forwarned, unless we talk fish, I'm EXTREMELY quiet.

Here is a pic of my 3 kids currently Chase 5 - Kiaya 3 - and Owen 1 and a pic of my son trying on some race boots at age 3.

Oh- I moslty keep SPS, but I have for the most part mixed reef in a 155 gallon bow with t-5 lights.

post-105-141867734136_thumb.jpg

post-105-141867734137_thumb.jpg

Ill play.

My name is Bill and i live in Bend. I have only been doing this hobby for 2 years, although int he last year of it i have been eating, breathing and sleeping it. Kind of like i have at times the other hobbies in my life, snowskiing, golf and flyfishing. In that short amount of time i have constantly been upgrading and improving and have had 5 different tanks going, not counting the two which i just built which i believe are the PERFECT tanks, short of them being in the perfect house with them in wall or center of a big room of course. I went with the best of both worlds, a 225 dsb softy/lps tank and a 90 bb sps/clam tank, and didnt cut any corners as far as equipment or set up.

I own a flyfishing guide business that primarily operates on the Deschutes river. Also my newest full time hobby is my son Carver born in March. I(we..haha) chose that name as i have hopes of him being a ski racer, but im not a controlling person, so he could become a serial killer as well with t hat name. Gotta give a kid options y'know. Hes a big healthy kid but had some fairly severe colic and other health issues for the first four months but is feeling much better now. :)

I found TRT last winter and loved the friendly helpful family like feeling of the site, although my humor is typically a little crude and sarcastic for that site, i have learned(i think) to tame it down appropriately. I met Jay online in April of this year when he did me a favor and i joined pnwmas at that time, although i just have been participating in the pnwmas forum for not even a month at this point. I have enjoyed talking with the people here as well and look forward to learning, sharing, and meeting more of you.

Im not much to look at but i have attached a pic of a great looking kid.:D

carvker.jpg

• 4 months later...

Hi there, Shannon here,

(wife) Of Mike Wilson -- up there in the begining somewhere -- claiming he started his hobby long ago, when in reality, I got him started on it again. I had him help me set up a 20 gal saltwater tank and today you'll see that it is the one that turned into that 100 gal tank (his story doesn't stick very well).

(clap) So, about me.....I met Mike about 6 or 7 years ago. Like mentioned above, I wanted to turn my 20 gal long tank into a saltwater tank, and "O" has the little tank grown. We keep thinking this 100 gal is full, then we seem to keep bringing things home -- I'm sure it won't be long before it gets a little bigger.

(plotting) Our house is also full with some kids,a couple dogs (new puppy for Christmas), couple cats, and a tort - "Tank the tort" -- he's really mine!!! Hopefully the kids will be all grown up soon and we can just keep up our other hobbies - haha.

Hello, we are Adam and Trent (old and brownies). We live out on the edge of Gresham with our "zoo". We have the 2 chihuahuas (a cow and a rat), a giant rabbit, and 2 tanks a 65 mixed reef, soon to be sps only, and a 55 gallon fowlr, soon to be softies. I (adam) have been in the reef hobby for 10 years now but have only become serious with it in the past 3 or 4, and have kept fish as long as I can remember.

who is this loke person????

Hello all, my name is Tammy, 25ish orginally from kailua hawaii. Never had an interest in saltwater until i moved away from the warm ocean to live here some 4 years ago. I live in beaverton, work at Intel on compressed workweek, and am working towards a computer science degree. I'm ex-military, and although i have never steped in the sandbox, I've had "the pleasure" of just recently being the significant other waiting back home while my soldiers in iraq. I have two tanks right now a hex and a cube, which are both a work in progress. When we buy a house next year im definately upgrading! I like outdoors stuff, and reef tanks, keeping plants, SOMETIMES i like video games, shopping, traveling and photography. btw, my screen name is Loke (low-kay), which is hawaiian for rose (and part of my middle name).Thats all for now, hope to see you around!!!

Hi my name is Starr I found this site from Patrick at Saltwaterfantasea. I have been in the hobby for about 13 years keeping fish at first then soft corals.

My new project is a 26 gallon AGA black bow front with matching Geneva stand. I am using a Magnum 350 for flow right now (I have a Seio on order) to go with it. I am also using a surface skimmer with the magnum. I have a sunpod 150 for lighting and no skimmer at this time. The tank also has a crushed coral/Ag mix sand bed (That will be coming out this week) for a straight Aragonite sand bed. I also have about 25lbs of live rock in it at this time.

I hope to see some of you soon I have plans of going to meetings in the future.

ReefStarrBow26

Starr