RO/DI Unit Frustration

Guest LisaJill

Guest LisaJill

Alright, so i bought an RO/DI unit from Buckeye Field Supply; now their site is not responding nor are they to emails. I initially bought it with a faucet adapter thinking that would be easiest for someone not inclined to putting things together.

Anyway; I failed that too, I can't even get this thing with the right items in the right cartridges. My normal handyman guy is booked out until September 29th. Does anyone know someone that has experience installing these under sinks, and is available sooner rather than later? I have two soap dispensers, one which I hope to ditch and replace with an extendable RO/DI water output.

I do *not* have the parts for plumbing this under the sink, so procuring the correct connections will be part of the gig.

If anyone has any recommendations for someone to plumb this for me, I'd be forever grateful.

Thanks!

Here's a review on http://www.buckeyefieldsupply.com

http://www.epinions.com/content_214294826628

You might try contacting Russ at BFS through this site. http://www.marshreef.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=36 They are one of the sponsors there. Check this page. It may have some info on installation.

Guest LisaJill

Russ is the one I've emailed, he was responsive prior to the sale but has not responded to my latest email. You'll note that the site no longer loads (your first link).

In any case, I own the unit and it arrived yesterday, I simply am looking for someone that can actually come over and install it under the sink or in the laundry room even. If anyone knows of someone willing to take on such work, please let me know.

Thanks!

I really have no interest in learning plumbing; I'm much more interested in having to not drag buckets around. So I'm looking for someone else to install it. ;)

Give it time... we all end up being plumbers in this hobby.(laugh)

So many of us own either an RO/DI unit, or an RO or DI unit, or I'm sure someone will be able to help you install your system, and have it running soon!

Sorry, I wish that I could help install it myself. I just have way too many things going on right now to get away.:(

Guest LisaJill

No worries =)

And no chance of me becoming a plumber; I'll quit the hobby first. Seriously, I find that one of the most frustrating and irritating things to deal with. 5 minutes after any "put it together" escapade I'm ready to break things, I just have no skill or interest in it.

You've actually hit on one of my main concerns with running a reef, and that is the pure amount of DIY that seems sometimes necessary to running a tank.

When I do get a bigger system that needs to be drilled (all of my current gear is HOB) someone else will install it. Just like this RO/DI unit! ;)

I'll keep checking in, worst case scenario is I wait til the 29th for my guy to come install it and do some other stuff for me at the same time. But would rather have it done sooner, or I'll have to go to Fred Meyer and pick up some more water. =/

LIsaJill,

Are you wanting to install this under your kitchen sink? Do you want to tap into your supply line or use the faucet adapter? When I installed mine it was fairly easy - install the cartridges and put the lines on. The instructions were not great so there was a bit of confusion on my part. Did you happen to get a TDS meter with the RO unit as well?

Guest LisaJill

Ideally it would simply be permanently installed under my sink; I bought the faucet adapter because I thought that I might be able to personally install it if I didn't have to hook it into the plumbing. Unfortunately, I can't even seem to get it to connect to the faucet without spurting water everywhere, no matter what combination of connectors and washers I use. It's also bigger and bulkier than I thought and I don't want to have to lug it around all the time.

Because water was going everywhere, the PSI was only at 20 as well, so that just won't do. At least I hope that was the reason for the low pressure.

Yes, it came with a TDS meter, and I got a 5 stage unit in case I have chloramine.

I think I understand her wanting it taken care of. I'm sure someone will step up and help. I am worried that she will get Seriously discourage with a larger system. I don't know any way to maintain with out DIY hands on. Maybe you should have an experienced party employed, as do Dr. offices as a maintenance service.

Guest LisaJill

CCR - while I don't want to plumb something under my sink; and I would have a custom tank drilled, plumbed and installed, I do not see why you think i would have problems with a larger system.

In fact, I find it downright insulting that you would insinuate that lack of desire (and therefore ability) to DIY would make me unsuited to running a tank.

I don't mean any offense, really I don't; but the concept that only people that can custom build/plumb/woodwork are the only ones that can manage a large reef is ridiculous. I don't have the tools or knowledge to plumb pipes, to create a closed loop that won't leak, or to drill glass, or a million other things that would help if I wanted to custom build my own system with my own hands - but that hardly means that I am incapable of the maintenance required once the hardware is in place.

In any case, I now completely regret even bringing this here. Thank you to everyone for your help; I will wait for my handyman to come over and plumb in the RO/DI system.

CCR - while I don't want to plumb something under my sink; and I would have a custom tank drilled, plumbed and installed, I do not see why you think i would have problems with a larger system.

In fact, I find it downright insulting that you would insinuate that lack of desire (and therefore ability) to DIY would make me unsuited to running a tank.

I don't mean any offense, really I don't; but the concept that only people that can custom build/plumb/woodwork are the only ones that can manage a large reef is ridiculous. I don't have the tools or knowledge to plumb pipes, to create a closed loop that won't leak, or to drill glass, or a million other things that would help if I wanted to custom build my own system with my own hands - but that hardly means that I am incapable of the maintenance required once the hardware is in place.

In any case, I now completely regret even bringing this here. Thank you to everyone for your help; I will wait for my handyman to come over and plumb in the RO/DI system.

I'm very sorry you felt I was insulting you. That was never my intension. My goal was to have a member offer you help that lived close, on ro/di. We are a great bunch of people hear, including myself. I feel there will be several members willing to help you through your project.

My reply was based on and I quote "You've actually hit on one of my main concerns with running a reef, and that is the pure amount of DIY that seems sometimes necessary to running a tank"

So please accept my apology for suggesting help.

CCR

Guest LisaJill

Yes, my concern *is* the DIY that many people assume is required - carpentry, glass work, plumbing.

But to insinuate I can't even manage the day to day maintenance is the insulting part. The two are entirely different areas of expertise; I have an interest in one area, and absolutely none in the other. Not unusual in most fields; but those active in the online reef community often assume interest and skill in both parts, and also assume it is necessary to success.

In any case; someone close by has offered to come help. Thank you all!

Guest LisaJill

I got a bunch of new corals from Seahorse yesterday; I'll need to post some pictures. The camera (an EOS XSi) is new though, so I'm not really using it to its fully capabilities. I think I'll delve into the manual this weekend. ;)

Yes, my concern *is* the DIY that many people assume is required - carpentry, glass work, plumbing.

But to insinuate I can't even manage the day to day maintenance is the insulting part. The two are entirely different areas of expertise; I have an interest in one area, and absolutely none in the other. Not unusual in most fields; but those active in the online reef community often assume interest and skill in both parts, and also assume it is necessary to success.

In any case; someone close by has offered to come help. Thank you all!

you have taken this way off. Again. Would it been easier to ask what I meant. I did not insinuate at any time what your capable of or not. We have a difference of opinion what DIY is. I don't drill my tanks either. But I do take apart the pluming to clean, pumps, skimmers, calcium reactors and more. I thought, from your post and (after 5 minutes your ready to break something), suggesting help was OK. Apparently not. It was supposed to be a good thing. I feel insulted looking like some kind of jerk.

It would be nice if we could take a step back, and move forward.:) What do you say?

I know this is going to get ugly. But hey, I might as well keep things consistent. This is a good example of what kind of customer service you receive when you buy from the internet. She bought an item and needed some questions answered and she got nothing. Now I am not saying that there is not retail stores out there that don't do the same thing. But there is definately something to be said about being able to talk to someone face to face after you have purchased something to get some questions answered. So I am wondering this. LisaJill, do you regret your purchase you made online for the fact that you received no customer service? I am not trying to bag on you or anything to the sort. I am merely trying to prove a point on the importance of doing business with a company that is willing to take care of you before, during, and after the sale. Your LFS may not be able to offer on-line prices. But the service you get out of them at times can be priceless. And again, I am not trying to offend anyone. I just thought this was a good example of another customer getting no help from on-line purchases.

Your LFS may not be able to offer on-line prices. But the service you get out of them at times can be priceless. And again' date=' I am not trying to offend anyone. I just thought this was a good example of another customer getting no help from on-line purchases.[/quote']

Wow... this is exactly the way I feel the last couple months. I feel that LFS are much more helpful then buying stuff online. Thanks SULLY you said it all (clap)

So I guess I am confused. You are an on-line store? I know you do livestock which my response was not refering to on-line livestock. I am refering to dry goods that you just don't take out of the package and use. Things like controllers, some skimmers, R.O. units and so on. If you are selling a tank cleaner magnet, there is not much needed to figure out how that item works. Even simple things like reading a hydrometer I have had to spend more time than I thought would be needed just to make sure the customer understood fully. It doesn't meen that they are dumb. It's just some people it takes longer before they learn and understand things. But I would aasume that most people agree when it comes to buying from the web, you are rarely going to get the same level of customer service as you would if you were physically standing in the store. Keep in mind again I am refering to dry goods. And again, I am NOT trying to start ****. I just wanted to point out that your purchases sometimes shouldn't always be based on the price of the item.:D

I am going to throw this out here so people might have a better understanding of what I am talking about. And I guarantee there is not another store out there that will dissagree with this. There is nothing that frustrates a store employee or store owner more than when a person comes into the store looking for something specific, ask you ever possible question that could be asked about the products operation, set-up, maintenance and so on, and a half hour later gets ready to leave and says, "well, I can get it on the internet for $35.00 cheaper" and walks out the door. Or even better yet, you get the person that bought a product that you carry on-line because they could save a few bucks and had a problem with it or can't figure out how to use it (hence the reason I got on this thread to begin with) and comes into your store or calls you on the phone and wants to know all the answers to the questions they have about the product that they decided to purchase on-line instead of buying it from their local fish store. Now myself, I still help the customer out anyways. But I also make sure that the point gets across that it's no always about the cost! I am not going to gouge you on the price as it is refered to far too often. But I do need to make enough to keep the doors open, bills paid, and put food on my table for my family. You might pay a little more for the product, but the customer service you will receive in return will be second to none. I will ALWAYS go out of my way to support my customers as long as they somewhat return the favor to me. Now there is some on-line stores that do offer great customer service. But I can tell you they are not going to stop by your house to help you hook something up or you are not going to drive the product to them to point out the question you have about which fitting goes where.:D

OK, all valid point's on LFS and on-line. Let's leave her alone.She has found help for her ro/di. That was her question. I feel we should move out of hear before things possibly go bad. If need be start a thread. JMO.... and that gets me in trouble too.