Lawnmower blenny is to skinny...

snowpunk

He has been slowly loosing weight for about 3 weeks. He is now rail thin, bones showing and is just not cruising like he usually does. There is plenty to eat in the tank for him and no other fish even goes near him. It could be me being paranoid but it seems like his breathing speed has gone up also.He looks great except for being very skinny. The rest of the fish are fat, dumb, and happy.(scratch)

The year and a half before this he was great all the way through. I did get him with the tank so I have no clue how old he really is. Do you think he could be dying of old age?(sad)

I actually have no QT didn't use it for so long I gave it up for my GF red capped oranda. At this point I would be scared to move him and risk stressing him out to the limit.. I was looking at him and his gills inside look reddish, and his top fin is getting a bright orange glow to it on the tips?!?!?!

Yea, my guess is old age. He took a while to really get to this point. He started slowing a lot toward the end. As for getting a new one, I think I am going to get another Blenny but maybe not another lawnmower. Maybe a midas, blueface, or starry. I really don't know at this point. any experience with any of these?

Guest LisaJill

Sorry to hear about your lawnmower. :(

Midas blennies are hilarious - more swimmers than perchers, and more carnivorous than herbivorous. So something to consider there. Great personalities though.

Unfortunately, from what I read, their swimming antics all too often take them out of the tank and on a floor adventure... something to consider.

I had a midas and he was mean to my firefish (I knew this was a risk but thought my tank large enough; they just both liked the same rock) ad he was a bit too... spastic for me. As in all over the place hyperactive. Real personality and fun to watch - but I was going for something a bit more sedate with my tank. =)