New reefer in Vancouver

Trever

Hello everyone,

My name is Trever and I'm a reef-a-holic. Well, actually I'm just getting started but I've become fascinated with the hobby. About 10 years ago I started a small 29 gallon fish only saltwater tank. When I moved out of an apartment into a house, I took the tank down and never set it up again...until now. My 3 year old son wanted a fish tank for his birthday and that was all the encouragement I needed to get my tank out again.

I have a 29 gallon setup that is doing quite well thanks to alot of help from Andy (a friend and co-worker and member of the boards). In my 29 gallon tank, I have two percs and a coral beauty. I also have a fire shrimp, three emerald crabs, half a dozen hermits and a couple dozen various snails. I also have a nice feather duster.

Andy has been gracious enough to help me get started with some corals and inverts. He gave me several Zoa's, torch coral, mushrooms, palys and a couple sponges. Everything seems to be doing very well so far in the tank.

I'm now in the process of putting together a 125 gallon tank. With Andy's help and lots of research online, I've gotten the acrylic sump built, tank stand built (minus the cabinetry which will come soon) and the tank is in place. It's mostly plumbed and I'm waiting for my pumps to come in. It's clearly going to be an expensive hobby but so far I'm enjoying it more than I can express.

The whole process has been tremendously educational for me and my three year old son. He has affectionately named our fish (Nemo, baby Nemo, Carlin - the angel fish, Dusty - the feather duster, and Coop - the shrimp). All of the emeralds are just called "Mean Crabs" because they were fighting in the bag the day we brought them home from the LFS. He's learned all about molting, feeding and how the fish and crabs and snails interact. It's great to have something he and I can get excited about together.

Here are some pictures of the 29 gallon. I apologize for the clarity. I'm still learning how to shoot tank pictures.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Here is some of my progress so far on the new tank.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Looking good! It is funny how the kids can get things going. I was into it 12 yrs ago to and my son decided he wated a tankDOH! Well ball starts rolling and wham you are into it deeper and deeper. My son has a nano in his room now after the 29 that he wife did not like. Me well 3 tanks later and still wanting more(laugh)

Glad to see you got one of Jasons 125s that he had. I would have picked one up if I did not already have my next project.

Hi Trever, welcome aboard!

Trever's son has got to be the most knowledgeable three year old reefer on the planet. No joke, he knows his stuff (clap)

Things are starting to come together (rock2) What did you seal the inside of the stand with?

Thanks for the welcome. It's funny you recognized Jason's tank. It really cleaned up nicely and I appreciate his help in getting started with a nice tank. The bottom of my cabinet is particle board that is laminated with the white plastic coating. I sealed around the edge with white silicone sealant I had from a bathroom tiling project. I know I need to cut some holes in the back for ventilation and wiring. I had the back on mostly for sturdiness then realized I need some holes. So I'll have to cut them before I get much further.

Ahh yes, Owen loves "his" tank. It's amazing how the mind of a three year old is like a sponge absorbing everything they see. He makes me proud.

WELCOME(welcome)WELCOME

Man, that is a nice looking setup on the 125. I love the nano, especially the pic with your son in front of the tank. Looks like he is really excited. I hope you can learn a lot together and make this a very educational and fun bonding experience. I cant wait to see the 125 as it moves along, the plumbing and setup is great.

Im just wondering why you have a laundry basket and a midget in the 125 tank pic? (laugh)

Well good luck and hopefully some time I can meet you.

Welcome to the group!

My youngest daughter has become quite good at helping me maintain the tanks (she is 8). She helps me dose my FW planted tank every day and helps out with the salt some...it is great to see another child so interested.

I like how you have done your rockwork also. Let me know if you need any frags of GSP or Xenia :)