tangs for live food?(flame)

snowpunk

My tank still has a small amount of hair algae left in it so I went to buy a tang as a workhorse. Picked up a medium size blue eyed tang for $10 because it had some major scrapes and such on his skin. It was something that had been there for a few months and didn't show any signs of going away. Either way, not really the point, just some background on the fish.

I get him home and get him in my tank and right away my eel is after him. This is really weird since the tang is much bigger then all of my fish already. This went on for a hour or so and I thought that would be the end of it. I got up at about 2:00 briefly and couldn't find him.(scratch) Probably in a hole somewhere or something. Got up this morning to find it headless:eek:, in the hole where the eel stays most of the time. Now I am kinda leery of putting anything else in but I am sure it was due to the fishes skin. I have had many fish put in the tank with the eel in there. Even a potters angel which is much smaller by far. The eel has never acted like that towards a new tank mate. My blue tang and him used to almost play together. The whole thing is just a little fishy if you ask me...(no pun intended)

I guess I just had to vent a little and see what everyone had as thoughts to this. It is just a snowflake eel and he was just fed too. I just didn't expect this at all DOH!DOH!

Yep, talked about it a little today and I think now that he has got the taste it may continue, so it may be time to take him out(sad). He is so cool, totally nice but to risky now. anyone know the best way to round up an eel. About 24" snowflake may be up for grabs. I think as far as snowflakes go this would be considered a large specimen...

I wouldn't recommend keeping the eel in the sump, just because they need a closed system, and usually sumps are open to help with gas exchange, and ease of access. I think your best bet is to advertise it on here, and craigslist. Don't expect to get too much for it. I also feel that they are risky "reef safe" critters, although really cool. I have owned a fimbriated morray eel and also a chainlink morray eel, so i am aware of how awesome they are.