Frag Racks

drock59

Thanks for the replies. Simple as that eh? Sounds perfect.

Mike, that was my next question. I need to get some sort of Halide for it.

The racks will be about 12" inches deep in the tank and I dont care about color.

I was thinking maybe a T5 retro.

The frag tank I had I used egg crate and PVC legs and wire ties. It is easy to assemble and they are a little flimsy, but once in water and weighted down a bit, fine. For a cost savings & heat savings I would go with a T5. I used T5 for our frag tank and it worked out pretty well. The coral didn't have too much of an adjustment going to a halid display.

Another idea....

http://www.mag-racks.com/index.htm

Shawn

Thanks for posting that...not cuz I want to buy one, but because it gave me the right idea for making my own:p I wanted to put a small one in the back of my display tank and was trying to figure out how to hang it w/o doing something dumb like using a coat hanger:p I'm going to use a strip of eggcrate super glued to the frag platform and then just leave 3 sides of the box on the other end to hang it on the edge of the tank.

I made a frag rack from eggcrate, magnets and hot glue. Turned out nice but I need to find some stronger magnets. I found some at Home Depot and they will work for now, but I am looking for something better.

Also, I covered the magnets in hot glue to help slow any corrosion. However, I am looking for a cleaner way to do this in the future. Any ideas? I would like to completely encase the magnet in something but I will need stronger magnet. Kind of worried about the magnets getting all jacked up in the tank.

Ill post a picture soon and I think it turned out pretty well.

Myles (impur) did a group buy on strong magnets a couple of months ago. I will try to find the thread...

Encase them in two-part epoxy resin to keep the salt water off of them.

dsoz

edit here is the link to the magnet thread

http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4463&highlight=magnet

and try this one too (it talks about using them for frag racks)

http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4764&highlight=magnet

:)

Yeah that would work but the prop/grow-out tank is going to be bare-bottom. I could put a piece on the bottom and set a hunk of rock on it. If worse-comes-to-worse.

You will probably need to do that as I have tried to use acrylic like that for a skimmer stand and without the skimmer on it its floatng aroundDOH! I know eggcrate will move in the current if there is not enough weight on it.

But I think you are on the right track for a frag rack. Those european golf Ts seem to work real well and if you can get the coral to encrust real well then mounting them is a cinch if you can drill some holes in the LR. Beats a chunk of epoxy and hoping it dries before it falls off(scary)