Photoshopped zoa pics?

TheGooseWhisperer

I was pokin around lookin for some zoas and came across an online dealer that has lots of colorful varieties. I was getting pretty interested when I came across the following picture:

photoshopped1.jpg

The color is way too saturated not to be doctored up by something like photoshop. So that got me wondering, to what extent have the rest of the images been altered? I was wondering what you all think of these. I'm especially hoping to hear from some folks who own these varieties...

bloodbath

photoshopped4.jpg

enchanted meadow/magma cone

photoshopped3.jpg

caldera

photoshopped2.jpg

I would say the first one is. Or its just a real bad pic. 2 and 3 are pretty normal standard zoos and the last just has actinics on. The main thing you look for in doctored pics is the surroundings. Later Ryan

#1 is far from true! It may not be intentional. The photos are all of poor quality.

It is really hard to tell. Many dealers are upset, and justifiably so, that other dealers photos are heavily manipulated. TEC is one.

Most dealers are not great photographers and I wouldn't expect them to be. I do wish they could improve, however.

Assuming no PS (Photoshop) or other major manipulation; I look at the eggcrate and try to facor on the lighting used.Even then coralline buildup can change the eggcrate color. I wish that all photos included a color chart and a ruler! Even then, without a calibrated monitor you are still going to be off.

If you look at #2 and #3 the eggcrate looks different. Part of the reason is that there is a shadow area in #2.

Sometimes it is a crapshoot for us.

# 4 has a beautiful blue oral disk. Is it true? No eggcrate to get a general idea. A little dark which could favor a darker blue.

A reputable dealer is a protection that I usually use, however it is kinda fun to gamble every once in awhile.

• 4 months later...

Here is a thread to help you. http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/white-balance.htm . I really don't see anything wrong with photo manipulation of corals with the caveat that it is not used to deceive. A post photo editing tool is the equivalent of a darkroom. It can allow you to get back to the correct color of the coral. All color that you see in a photo is an approximation. There are a LOT of variations that change your approximation of the image. If an in-camera or image manipulation tool allows you to do this, use it.

A number of camera settings are just "off".

If you need a decent photo tool I can recommend Corel Photo Pro Ultimate X2. It costs 35.00 and does a lot of what the 500lb. gorilla (Photoshop) does (also has a nice little monitor calibration tool).

• 5 weeks later...
id say photoshop cs3 ftw how else can you waste hours putting random celebritys heads on other bodys and vice versa(laugh)

This is how my friend has a sweet pic with her boyfriend Tom Brady (naughty) (I'm a graphic designer!)

I agree that it's not wrong to photoshop the pics as long as they are adjusting them to represent what they look like in person. A good way to tell in these images is look for something you know should be white and use that to guage it... for example: the pic of the bloodbath the egg crate looks blue so probably he upped the blue on the zoas

.... just realized this is an old thread.. oh well