Mini Mantis Tank

spectra

Was at Waves and saw a little mantis in there and started thinking(plotting) Found out a small tank we pulled out for a garage sale would work perfect for the little guy. So got to working on it and set up a new home. Tank came with a small canopy so ripped the lights out of it and modded it with a fuge light I had. Then I put in some moon lights (nothing like a midnight snack by moonlight(laugh)) Bought a small HOB filter and was done with it. Tossed the little guy in there with a few pcs of rock and a few friends for dinner:D Also added a few softies and some macro to make it look nice. Here are a few pics home is the small hole in the rock. Kind of funny to come home and see the hole blocked with a few shells and a zoanthid polyp(nutty)

post-523-14186777192_thumb.jpg

post-523-141867771925_thumb.jpg

post-523-141867771927_thumb.jpg

post-523-141867771929_thumb.jpg

Thanks Andy I think they are neat to watch. Am just kind of waiting to see if it will come out on a regular basis. Right now just kind of pokes its head out here and there. Did come out for some mysis when I fed the sun coral in my other tank. Best part of the critters is in the second pic look at the sand bed and see the hermit with the 2 zoo polyps attached(laugh) The first night the mantis used it as a front door for his house. I do not think it has enough power to smash the shell yet it is only a little over an inch long. Can here it clicking in there but no broken shells yet.

So your mantis is a smasher' date=' not a spearer?[/quote']

Yes a little smasher. Was watching it last night in its hole with a small snail. You could here it hitting it but not sure if it ended up getting through the shell or not. Am going to try and get some bigger pcs of meat for it tonight and just hand feed it with a stick.

Thanks Jordan for the kind words!

I guess this explains why I could not find the mantis shrimp in the tank at Waves when I was there yesterday! I had never seen one in person and was lookin in the tank for sometime trying to find it...little did I know he was already nice and cozy in his new home:) Thats a really neat tank!

What is the fuge light you used? I'm lookin for something for a DIY HOB fuge and haven't found anything I'm happy with yet.

The light was a clip on type that I just cut the wires and took the clip and flexible tubing off of. As for brand not sure I got it from a fellow reefer in a trade. It is just a 9W attinic bulb but works great for the little tank.

If I can get some bigs of the little bugger will post them up. Likes to hide in the cave and wait for stuff.

very cool ill have to come see it someday

You did it just did not have anything in it at the time(laugh) I bought the little guy and aqua scaped it after you dropped of the acan. Oh how was the Olive Garden hope you did not eat to much(whistle)