Kris's 110 build...

kriswaters

He He He He...I can't stop giggling as I picked up my 110 tall today. I want to thank Blaine (CCR) for taking the time to discuss this wonderful hobby, and for suppling my next tank!

Of course this is going to take some time, and with ENDLESS possibilities....OMG I can hardly sleep at night.

Things I do know:

Tank 110 gallon Tall glass aquarium.

Cherry finished all wood stand and hood

Lighting fixtures for two T12's and two MH's

Currently not drilled

Initial plan...put it up against my wall between the dinning room and garage and plumb everything to the garage....

I will post some pics here soon.

Kris

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay....pictures as promised.

This is where the tank will go. I have had this China cabinet for awhile, not sure what will become of it and the stuff...

110build001.jpg

Another view.

110build002.jpg

Full shot. Will need some cleaning up. Entire thing is 48 x 18 x 72.

110build003.jpg

The hood and the fixtures.

110build004.jpg

The stand.

110build005.jpg

Fun, fun, fun.

Kris

Okay....pictures as promised.

Entire thing is 48 x 18 x 72.

Which dimension is 6 feet? I hope that is not how tall it is, unless you plan on SCUBA diving to clean the bottom. :)

(I looked it up on CCR's thread... It is only 30 tall. Must have been a typo. :) ) Still 30 tall is really deep. I know I have trouble getting my shirt wet with a 24 inch tall tank. I hope you have one of those grabby claw things to position stuff on the sand.

dsoz

Which dimension is 6 feet? I hope that is not how tall it is, unless you plan on SCUBA diving to clean the bottom. :)

(I looked it up on CCR's thread... It is only 30 tall. Must have been a typo. :) ) Still 30 tall is really deep. I know I have trouble getting my shirt wet with a 24 inch tall tank. I hope you have one of those grabby claw things to position stuff on the sand.

dsoz

Total height 6 ft. Base and hood 30" deep tank. Yes it is a deep tank I have long arms so I't worked well but I did have to cheat with aqua tongs, some. Probably should mention it. Oh yea, I never have a shirt when working on my tanks. So I want Pictures from the Rest of you wet tops.(laugh)(laugh)

Oh yea' date=' I never have a shirt when working on my tanks. So I want Pictures from the Rest of you wet tops.(laugh)(laugh)[/quote']

I have never worn a shirt when digging into any of my tanks. Hell I get a wet sleeve just getting into my sons nanoDOH! Have to put on a redneck tank top when people come over:eek:

Total height 6 ft. Base and hood 30" deep tank. Yes it is a deep tank I have long arms so I't worked well but I did have to cheat with aqua tongs' date=' some. Probably should mention it. Oh yea, I never have a shirt when working on my tanks. So I want Pictures from the Rest of you wet tops.(laugh)(laugh)[/quote']

So far, I have yet to see Blaine with a shirt on! LOL. And yes, he is correct with the "total" dimensions of being six feet tall. The tank itself is 30 inches and I will definately need aqua tongs and a stool!

As for the plumbing:

First goal is to get this puppy drilled. I am planning on drilling two holes to accomodate 1" to 1 and 1/2" bulkheads. I will constuct a "Calfo" type overflow box...as I think the horizontal overflow will be best. I will probably use acrylic for the box, drilled in the same location as the tank, and use the bulkhead to hold it in place on the inside. I also need to paint the back...I have a friend who is an artist...I may think about using a "landscape" background painted on...or I may go black. We'll see.

The overflow will then exit the tank and through the wall and drain into the sump in the garage. There will be external durso's I suppose, to assist in the drainage. Of course, I will have to build a "wet area" in the garage to house the sump etc. Plus I need to move a few things around that are on that wall. Luckily, the washer and dryer I just purchased is stackable. I already have my Ro/DI unit right there.

I will upgrade my return pump (currently I have a mag 7 for the return and a mag 5 on the closed loop) and use the mag 7 with a SWCD for extra flow in the tank....those ideas are still flopping around. I am still debating on drilling it for a closed loop. The tank is euro braced, so I will need to incorporate that with any design.

I will stick with the sump I have, I think, and plumb the return externally. This will give me more room in the sump for whatever. I will also have to "eventually" upgrade my skimmer.

I also need to look into my electrical situation. I have 2 open slots in my current box in the house. I am thinking of going with two 20amps and running the lines to the garage. This way I will have 2 dedicated breakers to the tank. I think adding another box in the garage would be over kill at this point, so I will probably go this route.

I will still maintain my DIY attitute and try to do this as inexpensively as possible...with my B-Day upcoming, I will hit ma's up for the new return pump.

So far...that is it, other than getting my hands on a ton of rock! I have about 6 pieces that I built, but I think I am going to need more!

Cheers.

Kris

I wish we had crossed paths earlier. For the cost of shipping, we could have sent you all the fiji LR you needed. I gave it away with our livestock.

Anthony's method is great, but don't rule out simply putting bulk heads with a screw in 90deg. elbow. It is easier and takes up less space. Pros and cons to either. The box is cleaner looking. Some people say that the elbows make more noise, but personally I found as long as it is made large enough, the noise is a non-issue.

As for the plumbing:

First goal is to get this puppy drilled. I am planning on drilling two holes to accomodate 1" to 1 and 1/2" bulkheads. I will constuct a "Calfo" type overflow box...as I think the horizontal overflow will be best. I will probably use acrylic for the box, drilled in the same location as the tank, and use the bulkhead to hold it in place on the inside.

Kris

I don't think putting a bulkhead in to hold the box is a good idea. If I'm reading it correctly(scratch)

Bulkhead must be through glass only. If you go through both the acrylic and tank. It will never hold a seal. Build a 3/4 box. I think Jay still may have a few left. Well just a though.

I have tested the method...you just need a few extra rubber gaskets sandwiched in between. I will test it thoroughly again before going through with it. I have extra acrylic around to build the box but if worse comes to worse, I will silcone in a glass overflow.

Thanks rob for your advise...I am really trying to get the "Calfo" style going as I think the surface skimming is greater with that set up...I too wish that we had crossed earlier...that would have been a great deal on the rock!

Kris

I have a 3 step ladder next to the couch in front of the fish tank. makes a nice addition to our furniture, with my hand towells draped over it makes a nice footstool also. its definetly a must with a tall tank you will use it daily so will everyone else in the house!

I had a 55g that had a overflow box with 1"pvc down the bottom 90 to a bulkhead out the back worked just fine, had a T on the back for a vent

Soo....this new tank couldn't have come at a better time. I have realized a few other downfalls to acrylic-scraping coraline algae and the incomplete fit with bulk heads! I noticed today that my RO/DI auto top off wasn't shutting off. I knew there must be a leak! Sure enough one of the bulkheads had a tiny leak...the top of the stand and one side was damp...well somewhat wet, from the leak. I am glad I caught this or my tank could have ended up on the ground!

I can't wait for this glass tank to be up. I have plans to get it drilled in the next few weeks. I have also drawn up several plan options....

Fun.

Kris

• 2 weeks later...

continued from:

http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/showthread.php?p=71893#post71893

Kris here is the link to Uhurus old 40 breeder with the horizontal overflow http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7000 As for the 90s it looks like there are 2 in the tank and also 2 outside the tank to go to the sump. I know I had my 90 2 inchs off the wall as the overflow was inside the tank and went through the bottom of the tank. Does your tank have an internal overflow box now or not? If the bottom is not tempered you could drill it and make one just a thought. As for hi-jacking the thread think it is already happened(laugh) But have not heard from Smann so maybe the overflow issue has been taken care of. Steve are you out there(scratch)

Ah haa....thanks Spectra for doing the work on that one for me....it really looks cool don't it. I dropped the tank off to day with Joel at Waves...he won't drill until Tuesday or so, so there is room for me to change my mind a bit if needed. I did see his cube and his show tank...neither have overflow boxes, but instead have a screen over the bulk head opening. I really liked that "clean" look. I will go with 1 1/2" bulk heads at the top of the tank...1 on each side about 8" in from the tank (unless I change and decide to go with the above idea) and go with the screens. I don't want to drill the bottom...just a phobia that I don't think I will ever get over.

Joel and I also discussed the closed loop. I really want to rid myself of powerheads in the tank, so I will use a dart to power a manifold style around the top of the tank with several outputs around the perimeter of the tank...Spectra where are you on this(whistle)...I know there was another thread about this too! He (joel) will drill two holes for the intakes, this to even out the powerful suction and hopefuly save a future tang's life LOL. The rest will be as described above.

Anyway, with an outrageous gal/hr ratio with the dart, the closed loop ought to do everything I need for ciruculation! Perhaps there goes my SWCD...(scratch)

I did get all of the hardware removed from the stand, bought new hinges and am preparing to "clean" it up a bit. I will sand out some weathered areas and restain. I bought some poly-acrylic to coat the inside of the hood...hopefully this well help expand the lifetime of the wood and protect it from moister and salt spray. It already looks much nicer after the thick coat of dust and spidy webs were removed! I have plugged in the VHO's and the bulbs work nice...a little hum for about 15 minutes...but it goes away. I will have a ton of room under the tank as the sump will be in the garage! A little added storage will be great!

Also, I did a bit of "window" shopping today at HD. I got the plans drawn up for the garage "wet" area. I was able to price plastic coated wallboard that I will use on the walls. This will hopefully prevent damage to the walls against humidity and spills...so far things look fairly easy as far as the garage end (I will post some pics of the current lay out). I think I will go with heavy duty plastic shelving and lop them in half. This will also limit any possible corrosion. Perhaps I will encase it in acrylic sheeting with a few vent areas. I definately will need to find something to help keep the DOG HAIR out (I wonder why my dogs aren't bald).:D

l need to add to 20 amp breakers to the main and run romex to the garage. I should be able to get several dedicated outlets off of these two breakers. A visit to Marc's hidden treasure provided me with more research on the electrical and some definate inspiration from the king of DIY!

http://www.melevsreef.com/power_system.html

I am still debating on using the 55 gallon (my current display) as my sump. I definately like the volume...it will just need a few mods. That will leave my sump open to use as a QT or grow out tank...

Anyway, got the garage all cleaned up today, now I am ready to start making another mess! We'll see what tomorrow brings. (scary)

Kris

Here I am TADA(laugh) When it comes to powerheads I am not a fan of them as I have lost a few things to themDOH! Nems have not been one of them although my sons nanostream did a good job on a rose but it survived. Anyway I am going to try the Vortechs as they are kind of like a power head but have no cords in the tank. Also they are available with a battery back up incase power goes out. I have 2 of them ready for my new system. Another thing good abouthem is you can run them together if you have more than one. One of them will be the brain and all others will be the slave pump. Have done alot of reading on them on RC and like what I here they are a spendy product but figured drilling the tank I am going to set up is not an option (build thread to come soon(laugh)) as it is a custom set up. Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

• 2 weeks later...

Sooo. I got my tank back today from Joel at Waves...kudos to Joel for doing a great job on the drilling! I have two 1 1/2" bulkheads uptop for the overflows and two mid way for the closed loop. I also picked up the Dart today...I think he said 3200 gph flow rating??? Wow.

I have got the stand refinished, and am moving on to the hood...before that, I will need to paint the back of the tank black and work on getting the garage situated.

I am still thinking of using my current 55 gallon as a sump...the transfer process may be a nightmare, but I think the fish will enjoy the little sump for awhile! I am also converting my old 35 gallon hex into a QT/Hospital tank. I will pick up a cheap HO skimmer and a penquin filter for that soon. All in all it should go smooth.

I will post some pics next time around.

Kris