Let's Here Your Opinion on Tank Supplements??

BlowsBubbles

I was just getting a list together of tank supplements I am getting low on.... I was wandering what others' opinion is on tank supplements (scratch)? What works good, what isn't good, what brands are better (daz) -the good, bad and ugly... I haven't had a chance to use all of them -of course. I am sure I am not the only one that has questions. So I thought I would start a thread to hear from others, as I might not be the only one out there that wants to know what works good. We will see how this goes (fingers)

Since i have small tanks with high calcium uptake i dose two part supplements. I use either c-balance or b-ionic. Both are a calcium alkalinity additive. Other then that i do a 25% water change every two weeks. I use kent marine brand salt. That keeps everything running well :)

I dont do kalkwasser drip, i tried that but on small tanks... actual water volume of about 15 gallons it raises the ph way too much even on a very slow drip, which is not enough to make up for evaporation, so i have to add fresh water daily.

I don't add anything that I can't measure; that leaves me dosing kalk via ATO and magnesium every few weeks. IMO, most other supplements are unnecessary (trace elements replaced by regular water changes) or even harmful (either as snake oil, or via overdosing). YMMV.

Let's see. If I was answering off the cuff, I would say only kalk. But then I remember that I also add sugar on an infrequent basis to help lower nitrates/phosphates. Also I just got some Purple-up as a door prize at CFM, so I have been adding it (instead of kalk). When the two bottles that I won are gone, I will go back to kalk. And there are some times that I add calcium chloride and sodium carbonate (two part solution) if I want to raise my cal/alk instead of maintaining it.

That is it, except for food, and water changes. Most trace elements can be replaced with regular, frequent water changes. If I get behind on those, then everything seems to grow slower, and not look as good.

dsoz

Keep an eye on your levels when using that Purple-Up, dsoz -- I've heard from reliable sources that it's just pulverized aragonite in suspension and that there's no calcium or carbonate uptake at anything approaching normal tank pH.

There are also threads on RC describing other problems associated with the stuff. It's in my 'snake oil' category at this point, though I'd be interested to hear how it works for you... you know how internet stories are.

Kalk in TO, mag buffered up in water changes. Rarely but sometime dose live phyto, vitamins, and amino acids but I only use them because I got them at one of events, I don't see any difference, other than if I use as suggested I get hair algae poping up.

Keep an eye on your levels when using that Purple-Up

I am watching my corals, and also using kalk, just not as often. Sometimes I am doing both. I just can't seem to waste the bottles of purple up, even if they were free.

It's in my 'snake oil' category at this point.

My thought exactly. But if I have it, it may not hurt to use it. It does make the tank cloudy for a couple of hours after I use it. I have been using it fairly regularly since CFM, and I have actually seen LESS coraline algae growth on my glass since then. Maybe because my cal and alk are not as high as when I use Kalk. I am about 2/3 the way through the first bottle (I won two). Maybe I will alternate days with kalk/purple up/two part.

Although, less coraline is a bonus. My wife HATES the stuff that grows on the glass. When I brought the bottles home, here was the conversation...

ME: "Guess what hun!"

WIFE: "Wha?"

ME: " You know that stuff that grows on the glass? This stuff that I won is supposed to make it grow FASTER!"

WIFE: "You are not going to put that in your tank, are you?"

ME: "Ya, I'm not going to waste it."

WIFE: "Great! I can't wait to hate your tank even more."

dsoz

ME: "Guess what hun!"

WIFE: "Wha?"

ME: " You know that stuff that grows on the glass? This stuff that I won is supposed to make it grow FASTER!"

WIFE: "You are not going to put that in your tank, are you?"

ME: "Ya, I'm not going to waste it."

WIFE: "Great! I can't wait to hate your tank even more."

dsoz

NOW THAT IS FUNNY AND SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO TRUE.

I don't do additives other than a calcium reactor. In the future will add a kalk system. I like to keep it simple. I tried a few different things when I was newer at it. From specific items, strontium and the likes. Some type of cube claiming it would replace whatever element was low and magically add only what was needed and only when it was needed. What a frigging nightmare DOH!! They still sell it. I personally feel to much is used. Especially chasing problems, even worse, unknown ones at that.

Carbon IMO does have a place. I don't consider it an additive. More of an ER. The first thing we ALL should be looking at is water changes on a logical basis. ALWAYS have an emergency supply ready for the unexpected.

There is one thing that must be added. You should never avoid it, Most of the time it is the hardest to find. It will always bite you in the arse when you can't find it. It has and can be a real killer with out it. Look as hard as you. It is YOUR responsibility. Patience my friends. "Patience"