Help needed with skimmer

ahreno

I'm having issues with my skimmer... I dont have the brand handy but it doesn't really matter... it's a quality skimmer. It worked fine for the first year or so but then i cleaned it and it hasn't really started workin well since then.

When it's clean I can see the bubbl and everything looks like it's working fine. It feels up and bubbles over. And it seems fine After a week or two everything is coated in gunk including the inside of the tube heading to the waste bucket. After that first week or so nothing really drains out at all.

if i disconnect the tube heading to the waste bucket is pulled off I can tell that there is air trying to push out so I'm convinced the skimmer is "trying" to work... Anyone have any ideas?

Check all connections and make sure you don't have a leak somewhere (pumps connected correctly, seals in place, etc.). Also make sure you have proper flow going through and/or you have adusted your valve for proper outflow.

I have found with my skimmer that if too much water is escaping that the bubbles just can't get high enough and they end up just coating the inside of the skimmer instead of going in the cup.

My guess is you either have a leak or your flow has changed somehow.

I believe every time you clean your skimmer you will see a lot of bubble flow very quickly for a short while then it will calm down and produce better skimmate.

Good Luck

ETS Super Skimmer is what i have. I did break the tiower part off but sealed it back up. if there is any sort of air leak it doesn't seem to skim... as i can test by lightly opening up one of the screws to seal it.

Is it possible that the extake (if thats a word) gets too full of gunk to properly pull?

ETS Super Skimmer is what i have. I did break the tiower part off but sealed it back up. if there is any sort of air leak it doesn't seem to skim... as i can test by lightly opening up one of the screws to seal it.

Is it possible that the extake (if thats a word) gets too full of gunk to properly pull?

Couldn't find "extake" here. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/extake

Extake: possibly opposite of "intake"? (scratch):D

Do you mean the collection cup? http://www.superskimmer.com/Manuals_Cat/Oper-InstrETSSTotal.pdf

Any collection cup should be emptied and cleaned as needed.

When your cleaning I presume you are cleaning the intake air tupe and orifice. Inject the air tupe, with it on with hot water. This will dizzolve any salt in the tupe, remove dust. When your setting up the top, are you setting the bubbles to break in the neck of the top? Are the bubbles "Fine" enought?

If you are collecting alot of the gunk in the head it probly working, mine is similar not alot makes it to the collection cup or evaporates but when I clean the head out its more than1/8" thick. I also take a cup of warm water and siphon thru the air intake to clean the salt out