FS: Black Long Spine Sea Urchin

downhill_biker

I have a black long spine sea urchin that I would like to sell or trade for coral, or toward a lighting lighting fixture 24"-30" or pendant. I love the sea urchin, but it is getting big, and knocks over corals. i would glue down all my corals, but cant, because i will be moving in a year, and need to be able to break everything down. the urchin is reef safe in every aspect except that it eats coralline, along with other algae. If you have a good amount of coralline you will be fine, it wont consume more than can be produced. It also eats all other algae, and algae sheets.

5-9-08FishTank020.jpg

I am still having a hard time seeding my tank with coralline algae, and this urchin eats all of it. I put the urchin in before I could get the algae started growing, so it cant keep up. I still want to get rid of the urchin. I will probably get another later, when the coralline is well set in, but for now, this one is for sale.

you can still break the superglue?

Ya, it may take a little work, and if the coral encrusts over where the glue it it makes it a little more difficult, but it is easy to do. It does leave some super glue residue on each piece, which looks ugly later. But it quickly gets discolored by algae, or if you work a little more you can even scrape it down to bare rock.

It is best to have both the rock and the frag out of water to glue it, but it can be done under water. According to GARF.ORG, put some SG gel on your finger and wipe it onto the rock where you want the frag to get a base that the frag can stick to. Then put a blob of gel on the frag, as quickly as you can stick the frag to the rock (water causes SG to get a "skin" when exposed to water). Then twist the frag back and forth for a couple of seconds to break the skin and expose the SG blob on the frag to the SG on the rock. Hold it for a minute or so and the frag will be attached.

There are many times that I accidentally bump a piece of coral that is glued down and it pops right off. That is why for more permanent attachment people use the epoxy putty.

HTH

dsoz

i have the epoxy putty as well, they are both hard to use. i will start glueing them down, or epoxy them down, but i think i still need to get rid of the urchin, because it is really preventing the coralline from starting in my tank. i think if i get the urchin out, the coralline will have a chance to start growing.

lol. i have the same problem i got my longspine when he was small tiny now hes huge big.i glue my frags with superglue and have lost 2-3 sps because i havent noticed they were in the sand till it was to late. everyday i have to pick up after him(wife).yeah superglue can be broken easy.good luck with finding him a new home, they are really cool and reef safe, ill need to do the same soon.