Help with new tank design

Lundy24

Hey everyone! I'm in the process of planning for a tank upgrade and would really appreciate some input on my next tank. I currently have an oceanic 30gal cube and am planning on setting up a 30x30x_ rimless cube build by Joel. I recently graduated from WSU and started my first real job so I will finally be able to actually afford an upgrade(clap). As of last month I live and work in the Seattle area but I guess I still consider PNWMAS my home.

My first decision is on the height of the tank. I can't decide to go with 20", 22", or 24". I'm planning on lighting in with a single 400w 20K halide in a Lumanarc pendant so light penetration shouldn't be an issue. Here are some sketches of the configurations. So help me out and let me know what you think and why

30x30x24 (Actual volume 82 gal)

24cubetanksinternalbox.png

30x30x22 (Actual volume 75 gal)

22cubetanksinternalbox.png

30x30x20 (Actual volume 67 gal)

20cubetanksinternalbox.png

I would go with the 20" or 22". I am over 6' tall and hate reaching in a 2' tank. Even though my big tank will be 2' :)It really depends on what type of rockwork you like. If its gonna be two big pillars you might need 2'. If you went with the more island look then you could go shallower. Later Ryan

82g and 67g are both strange numbers, whereas 75g is a nice figure to work with. It's also the "compromise", the in between choice of the three you are considering. I can see 4" being a big difference, but is 2" going to make that much of a difference? If you're 2" too tall or too short, will it be a big deal?

On the other hand, 2' is a nice figure to work with too. 1' 10" and 1' 8" are just strange.

As a final note ... 30"x30"x20" just looks cool ... being multiples of 10 and all.

Okay, sorry ... I can definitely see your dilemma. Good luck choosing.

As far as the tanks dimensions, the numbers thing doesn't really matter to me. I really only care about it looking good and is being functional.

The tank will be SPS dominated with few LPS. Ideally, i will get a few select corals and let them grow out into colonies. I'm thinking about going BB for water quality but def prefer the look of a sand bed. I will prlly end up with a SSB so I can keep my leapord wrasse.

Right now I'm leaning towards the 22" height because it seems like a good compromise. I haven't had a tank taller than 20" so I can see reaching how to the bottom of a 24" tank would be a pain but it would be nice to have the extra volume.

I really like the 24 tall but that is me. It does suck for reaching the bottom but if you add sand it will take away 2 inchs at least. Plus if you are going to run a 400 24 would be fine. My new set up is 19 inchs tall you saw it in the garage I think? Also take into efect how tall your stand is going to be. What are you going to do for that? One question leads to another(laugh) Also what are you going to do for flow in the new set up?

Yea Scott I saw your setup and absolutely loved it. That's one of the main reasons I started thinking about the 20" height. I haven't thought too much about how tall the stand will be but I would like to go on the taller side. I really the look of the Elos stands and am thinking of doing something similar. I would like to have one of your steel stands but i'm on a finite budget so a diy wood stand is looking good. It is def not cheap to live up here so this will be a basic settup for awhile (sad). Eventually I would like to get a couple vortecs but for now I'm going with 2 modded Tunze 6025 and 2 Koralia #2s. That could change but its the plan for now