Help Buying Handheld GPS

mrgreenthumb

All right all you electronics guru's and outdoorsmen/women. I have been trying to decide on a handheld gps device for backpacking. I'm pretty cluless on this niche of electronics and was wondering if any of you could offer any buying advice or suggestions. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

a couple of tips.

Which ever one you decide on make sure that you can download and use it with your computer. Make sure you can use topo maps,marine maps city maps ect... Some have it to where you can only use their software and will charge you a monthly fee or a annual fee. We have a garmin as well. Love it!!! Ours is a hand held one which for us was better this way we could take it anywhere.

I recently purchased my first handheld gps a few months ago. I did some research and decided on the Garmin etrex vista HCx. The "H" series have a high-sensitivity receiver. It works indoors and even works in the plane when we travel.

The price is pretty high when you add the city maps, topo maps, flash memory card, and device. The city maps are nice when we travel. Gives us turn by turn directions to address and places. If you are in the market for a high end device I would recommend this one.

Theron