PAR Results, Reeflux vs Radium

andy

Madmike loaned me his Apogee Quantum (PAR) Meter (thanks, Mike! :)) and I took some readings, comparing the output of a Reeflux 12K SE bulb vs. a Radium, on my 250W SLS Galaxy. I only ran one side of the tank with each bulb, so I wouldn't get any spill over from the other side (I only have one Reeflux bulb).

Here's a picture, showing the results at various points in the tank. The yellow (bottom) number is the PAR reading under the Reeflux bulb, while the blue (top) number is the Radium.

PAR800.jpg

Tabulating my data gives:

results.gif

Overall, in my tank the Radium outperforms the Reeflux by ~32%

Sanjay's Reef Lighting page doesn't have any data for SLS ballasts, but does for the Icecap electronic ballast. Sanjay measured the Reeflux PPFD as 51, and the Radium as 66 giving a 23% advantage to the Radium; this is significantly less than the 32% I measured.

The results do help explain a couple of the problems I've had following my UV Apocalypse: continued bleaching and LPS recession. When I installed the Radiums, I cut my photo-period and gradually raised week by week -- but now I'm thinking that I didn't raise is slow enough. Back to screen over the tank and reduced hours.

Just for S&Gs, I also measured the PAR in my son's nano (where my acans and micros are recouperating ). His tank is a 20H, lit by a 10K Hamilton 175W (bulb and ballast); the bulb is probably close to 3 years old. At the top of the LR in the tank, I measured ~120, down where the LPS are ~60. When they were in the 55gal, they were getting ~220... almost 4x what they're getting now where they are perfectly happy.

One layer of mosquito screen cuts the PAR value roughly in half.

Oh, and at 1:25pm the Vancouver sun idles at around 1800 (laugh)

The radiums are new right? I'll be interested to know what kind of par they put out in 6 months. Everything I have heard says the electronic ballasts overdrive them and the wear out pretty fast. Remind me in 6 months and you can borrow the meter again and check them to see where they are.

Mike

ohh, cool...guess I was only paying attention to the 400 watters because that is what i'll be running eventually. (bought the dimmable coralvue ballasts so I could use a kill-a-watt to tune them down towards 360 to see if they will last longer.

Thanks

Yea I am thinking about running Radiums on a tank i'm planning and have been debating between the 250 and 400 watters. Only reason I knew is I've been doing some research on the two recently. That's a great idea with the coralvue ballest, I'll have to look into that