Need help to modify Skilter filter

Benny503

Hello all,

Last two months I've been using paper towels, 1 at the time laying across the surface of the tank and wipe it off the top to remove surface proteins. I was searching and hoping that someone out there coming up with a surface skimmer, but couldn't find any hang on the back of the tank.

I am thinking about using my spare Skilter 250 and turn it into surface skimmer with little modify. I am thinking about cutting out the intake pipe and connect it to a U shape pipe to have the intake facing half above the water line. I dont have any tools at home, plus this is going to be my fist DIY project and I don't have much experience or faith in myself yet. If anyone here have the tool to cut couple piece of plastics and want to work with me around half an hour, please PM me. Thanks in advance.

I have some saws, and a dremel. My wife will be out of town all next week. If you want to bring your supplies over one of the evenings (Monday or Tuesday is better for me), I am sure we can work out whatever problem it is that you have.

dsoz

Not many people are using Skilters, as they do not remove enough skimate to be of much practical use for most bioloads.

This may be a good place to start looking for modification links. Good luck!

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/skilterfaqs.htm

Thanks for the information John, that is the reason why I bought my odyssee skimmer and had my skilter sit in the gargage from months. I dont think I need anymore skimming, I just need the white stuff on surface to be clear in my tank. This modified will acting more likely a return pump or more water flow in my tank (whistle)