Sand sifter...

pthoma79

Anybody have any ideas for something other than a diamond goby to sift sand? I have lost 2 of those now (1 jumped through 1/2 inch eggcrate, 1 decided to explore the powerhead), and I want to try something else. Was thinking a conch, or another fish.

Thanks for your ideas.

is there something scaring your goby? what other fish do you have in there? I have a 3" diamond goby in my Biocube 29g with NO top on it and e has never jumped. hardly goes up top come to think of it.

I second the nass snails.....fun to see thier little snorkels coming out of the sand especially at feeding time, its like a herd of submarines surfacing...lol

I had a twin spot that did a good job. He didn't last more than 6-8 months. I have a yellow spotted goby now. He waits for the fish food! I see the nass snails often....I am waiting on more of those for my tank. Plus, they don't get huge, the stay in the sand and don't knock off the corals!

What size tank are you running? It kind of depends on that to. I have about 4 nes snail, 2 conchs, 1 or more but who knows cucumbers and a couple of snails or ? that just stay in the sand in my 30 cube. Everyone gets enough food and keeps the sand clean. Used to have a diamond goby in my sons 29 and he kept the sand perfect. Have not found anything better for cleaning sand besides the diamond.

I have a 30 gal tall tank with about 5-6 nass snails and about 8 cerith snails. The other tank inhabitants are a royal gramma and a false perc clown. Not sure if they are scaring the diamond or not. Maybe just unlucky? As far as the sand sifters, aren't they only for bigger tanks?

Also, should I get more snails, or am I good? I also have 2 turbos and about 8-10 hermits.

I would say something has to be scaring your goby, I had a diamond who would go missing and I'd find him in the backside of my nano about once a week. After about the 3rd week while watching tv I heard this nice thump against the top on the nano, I noticed my kole tang was chasing him around and his idea of an escape was straight up into the lid and bounce himself into the back of the tank. Goby's don't normally just jump for no reason.

Sand sifting stars help but there's nothing better than a goby to keep your sand nice and white. Just make sure your rock work is set on the bottom of your tank!

I have to disagree with goby's being the solution simply for the fact that the goby solves one porblem while creating another. Particles in the water column. While doing that excellent job at keeping the sand clean they also constantly stir the sand up. I kept waiting and waiting and waiting for the water to clear up, but it never did until he "went into the light" and passed away. I even tried running 50 micron filter socks to help clear up the water but he was just to good at what he did! For me I would steer clear of the gobies expically if they are jumping and you are flushing money down the toilet. You can accomplish the same thing with other sand sifters without clouding your tank. Nassarius, sand sifting star fish, tiger cucumbers, conchs, and other sand sifting cucumbers.