PVC glue

Miniwhinny

I think most of us use the normal stuff you get at the local hardware store for plumbing almost everything. I knoiw I have used it for the last 4 tanks I have done and have not had an issue yet. I even glued a durso then ran water through it 5 mins later. Good luck with the rock work am going to be watching. Have you also thought of using acrylic rods? I have read a few articles on that and they seem to work real well.

Yeah its cool to use. I would let it dry for awhile though. Whenever I have jumped the gun you get alot of smell in the water from the PVC cement from it not being totally dry. Probably not a big deal but its a little smelly. Later Ryan

Thanks all (clap)

I've been working hard...okay I confess...I've been having a BLAST ALL afternoon and have started my "tower" just as imagined it and am so far very happy. I'll post pics later this afternoon on the "members tanks" section under "miniwhinny's deep sea adventure" if anyone is interested :D

Thanks again, this site is awesome and you guys are so helpful.

I have used Rain-R-Shine PVC cement for several large freshwater and saltwater central systems, some under considerable pressure, without problems. This was recommended to me many years ago, and I have always recommended using this to others. My 2¢ worth. :)

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(edbr5rqwhf5o3u45irw1w045)/productDetails.aspx?SKU=4011979

I used the regular pvc glue for an overflow that I made about a month and a half ago. Let it cure for a day and the tank is doing great. Seems to be just fine if you let it dry, if not everyone knows that smell. Overall seems to be nothing wrong with it if you let it sit for a day or so.

I have used regular PVC glue several times on several tanks and have had no problems. I have used the primer to paint things for the tank purple to blend in with the coraline and that has worked well for me to.

I don't let it cure for as long as I should I suppose. I will use the glue pretty quickly, 10 mintures or so. I let the stuff painted with primer sit over night usually.

I have had a few things leak, but never the parts with glue oddly enough. My leaks are more likely to be caused by teflon taped pieces or bulkhead gaskets, both easy fixes most of the time. IME

HTH

Most standard pvc cements are suitable for aquariums. One way to make sure is to read the label. It should state that it is suitable for potable water. If the label does not state that it is suitable for potable water you may want to stay away from it as it can leach solvents or chemicals into the water. I know that the black abs cement is not safe.

Dave