My 34g solana

matty

I have had an account here for quite a while but have never started a tank thread. Now seems like a good time since I just got a new Solana after being tankless for about six months. My last tank ended in disaster do to lack of money and time, this time will be different! I bought this tank about 3 weeks ago and it is still pretty much stock right now. I have ordered the following for it.

ATO unit: Because the top off bottles are useless

Wavemaker: I will have two koralias attached to it for some random flow

Azoo fan: My temps are high do to the MH pendant

The skimmer seems to be good and I love finally having made the jump to MH! I have put in 40lbs of live rock and about 30 lbs of fine sand. My levels have been holding steady for 2 weeks at:

Nitrites:0

Ammonia:0

Nitrates:5-10

Ph:8.2

Salinity:1.025

I have ordered a CUC and will be adding them on wednesday. Ok I am done rambling here are a few pics after I added the rock, I will update them soon!

002-3.jpg

001-2.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Thanks ryan! I want it to be a well mixed reef and I would also like to try a clam down the road. I love the tank but the stand leaves a little to be desired. I remember I bought some zoas from you a few years ago, they were with me through both tanks I had previous! Speaking of that are you gonna have anything left from the sale in a few weeks?

Oh shoot my bad i thought you were the one selling all of your corals but its another user. I am pretty sure though that I met you at upscales a couple of years ago and bought some zoa frags from you.

Nice looking set up(rock2) Love the rimless design on those. I was looking at them but wanted bigger(laugh) Reef Fisher has one on the boards also ask him what he has done as for upgrades or? His has been running for a while now I think. What light are you running on it? As for the stand I thought it was a neet design but looked a little unstable and needed to be taller.

Thanks Spectra! I will look up his solana. Yeah the stand is kinda short, but actually its not as unstable as it looks. I think the craftmanship on the stand could have been better though. I am running the stock 150 mh pendant "dico ball" lol. I like it so far but I am wondering if I can some how upgrade the reflector?

• 1 month later...

Can you post some more pictures of the equipment and your overall setup? I love seeing how these things work! :)

I really like you're cube. I'd love to make on in the middle of a room and have it 4- side viewable.

Is the solana a kit? How is the ATO treating you? I've had my eye on one...

Hey Jfly, Thanks for the kind words. As far as the equipment goes mine is all stock except for the two koralia pumps I added. The solana is an all in one with a false wall and three chambers in the back. The first holds the skimmer and the heater, the second has two drip trays for filter material, and the third houses the return pump. The skimmer that comes stock with this tank has worked very well for me. The ATO consists of two pretty small bottles turned upside down in a holder so when the water drops the bottles are supposed to drain some water out. Let me just say that they are worthless. I am running the stock 150w mh and those bottes cant keep up with evap because its also a open top. The tank comes with a glass top but I have never been able to use it do to heat issues. Hope this helps!

http://www.current-usa.com/solana.html

Matt

That setup looks pretty sweet. How does the skimmer perform? I've been reading a bit of negative stuff about the ATO as of late. I guess I'll stick with the one I made myself. :P I just need to work in some redundancy and some sort of an alert.