Braced tank Q

Miniwhinny

I have a question. I'm looking at a tank at Petsmart. It's a 50 something but is cube shaped. It's 30 inches long and the reason I'm looking at this tank is that at 30 inches long I can use the Sunpod I already have on my 30 inch long 29 gallon...BUT this tank is braced in the middle. Even if I upgrade to the 250 sunpod..I'd still have the problem with the brace being in the center.

How do you use a one source MH system on a tank with an inch to an inch and a half plastic brace right under where the bulb would sit?

Any idea's or do I need a different tank?

Thanks all.

I don't think that there is a good solution for the old point source of light over the top of the brace dilemma. You either need fluorescent lighting, or two MH, one for each side. Have you looked at the 40 breeder? It is a fairly large, almost cube, and I don't think it is center braced.

I keep toying with the idea to make a frag tank out of a 40b with a 250 MH, and raise frags to sell to others to help cover the cost of my addiction/hobby.

My other dream tank would be another 40b with 3-4 rbta in it with a pair of maroon clowns. That would be a good looking tank!

dsoz

Funny you mention the 40 breeder. I went back over there today to take another look at the 56 and decided the 40 may be a way better tank. I love how deep it is from front to back. I think that would allow way more 'scaping room. I'd also save money on a stand because I think I could modify the one I have for my 29 by just adding a new top to it.

I'll share my plans if it comes about :D

By the way Dsoz, your baby Sanctithae (sp) is about 3/4 to 1 inch across now. I'll be able to remove it next time I head to PDX and bring it up. Just need to get the next week or so of school out of the way for the boys.

By the way Dsoz, your baby Sanctithae (sp) is about 3/4 to 1 inch across now. I'll be able to remove it next time I head to PDX and bring it up. Just need to get the next week or so of school out of the way for the boys.

I know how you feel, having to wait for school to be over. I am anxiously waiting for the next two weeks to be done.

What can you keep in your tank, I would like to reciprocate with a gift to you. Do you have many monti caps? I have a piece of orange and another piece of purple that I could give you a nice size chunk. Or I could wait for you to come here and you can decide what you would like. :)

dsoz

Dsoz,

I love caps and don't have any...but you're not getting this 'shroom just so I can get something back ;)...it's a GIFT from one fishy person to another *grin*.

Hopefully the last few weeks will go fast for you. I have a 9th grader with awards day this Thursday and a 12th grader graduating on Friday....YAHOOOOOOO no more carpool and making lunches for three months (whistle)(laugh)

And I told you when you had your tank vandalized that when you get back on your feet that I would GIVE you some stuff to restock. I have not forgotten that, and I hope that you have not either. Like you said, I want to give you a GIFT. :)

So let's not argue about intentions, because that will defeat the purpose.

dsoz

Dsoz...you have a deal :D

coralreefaquarist...yup, I've been searching the web over the past couple of days for 40 breeder threads to check out how folks have aquascaped and you're right...40B's look huge and the options for 'scaping are endless because of the depth.

mister crabs...oh THANKS - I'll call my Petco today and see when they are having their sale. I'm all for saving money on the tank - all the more to spend on livestock (whistle)