Maui Aquarium

Smann

My wife and I recently returned from the islands, my parents live in Kona so we go a couple times a year. The flight stops over in maui so this time we decided to stay a few days. The first thing that caught my eye was the aquarium, I have been to Newport and Monterey but this was the ultimate reef aquarium. From the time we entered and went to each display my wife kept commenting “I remember when we had that fish” or didn’t we have this coral once? I finally had to say that’s enough( that first year was hard on livestock). The displays were stocked with all the fish and inverts we are familiar with, hermits, lobsters, stars, crab, all the reef fish, anemones just about everything available at the LFS of course they were a lot larger. They had schools of solider fish from the small up to 12”. There wasn’t a lot of variety of coral as its not native to the islands but they did have a lot of montipora and smaller stony coral, soft corals, but the live rock was impressive in each tank. In the learning area they had a frag tank and you could see the lights and equipment, similar to my frag shelves except theirs were probably 300 gallons!

Although it was a little pricy I would definitely recommend it if you get over there, the most impressive part…. Thousands of gallons of fresh reef water in and out every day, just think no more water quality problems!!

I've been there about 10 years ago for a class field trip. It was a time where I wasn't into reefs, but was really impressed with the entire aquarium though and loved the tiger shark display. Is it still there?

Post of the pictures!

yes i think its the tank outside that you can walk down and see into the tank and then also walk up above and look down in. they also have the very large tank at the end with the tunnel, it is full of sharks, rays and several of the other large local fish like skipjack tuna and many others. we sat at a side window on a bench for about 30 mins just watching that tank before leaving

Cool! We go to Hawaii once a year' date=' the last 2 we've been in Kona and love it! But this year we are splitting it up and hitting up Maui for 4 days then Kauai for another 5. I definately want to see the aquarium![/quote']

If you are going to maui, you have to hit up Molokini also. You have to get there by boat though.

bob_molokini.jpg

"Molokini is a partially sunken volcanic crater just 2.5 miles off the coast of Maui, Hawaii. Located between the islands of Maui and Kahoolawe, Molokini is now a beautiful underwater sanctuary for marine life. Molokini is truly one of Maui’s most breathtaking snorkel and dive locations. Part of Maui County, Molokini is a popular destination for scuba diving and snorkeling with many tourist boats coming each day from the south coast of Maui."

http://www.molokini.com/2006/11/10/molokini-mauis-best-dive-and-snorkel-location/

I went there during my maui trip....went on the boat and everything, but when I got to the site...i was too chicken **** to go snorkeling...didn't wanna get eaten by a shark. LOL. It was a nice boat ride out there though.

I also went on the Atlantis submarine. Did you guys know the color red does not show up underwater?

Don't worry its on my list!! We stayed on Maui for our honeymoon and had a snorkel trip to Molokini planned, but the man o war and jellies decided to blow into the crater for the day, so they changed it to on the other side of Lanai. It was ok, not as good as i hear Molokini is.

We snorkeled Molokini, saw some of the biggest lobsters ever, could have ate my Weiner dogs easy! Maui aquarium was awesome. I have also been to Monterey, Newport and Shark Reef in Vegas. Don't waste the money in Vegas, one of the saddest things I've ever seen. Most of the fish had LLE, fin rot and just looked like a sick fish dumping grounds and it cost some where around ? $18 (flame)

I, too, get to Maui a couple times a year. If you dive, you can dive in the Maui Ocean Center's shark tank....costs about $200.....but, it's quite the kick. They only take 3 people a day....it's usually at opening. It's very different being in the tank looking out at all the people. They give you a bunch of clams to feed the eagle rays in there. There's also an 8ft Tiger shark in there. I took my better half in there to get her over her fear of sharks before we went to Tahiti....and it worked (although, I failed to mention to her about a Tiger being there......I never heard anyone curse under water before).

Best snorkel spots in Maui.....1) Ahihi cove south of Makena. This is a mariine preserve and located right on the road for extrememly easy access. Best done at 7am to get the best parking spots.....2) Fish bowl.....a 20 minute walk from the road across a lava field.....but, well worth it. It's a completely protected and secluded tiny cove that has a huge amount of fish in absolutely the clearest water around. It's located about 10mins south of Makena.

Wow Steve, if I failed to mention about a 8 ft tiger shark to my wife, I would be looking for a second room for myself that night. :)

We got back from a trip to Maui and Kauai a few months ago. We stayed in a house next to Makena Landing. There is a nice little park there with bathrooms, showers, and small sandy beach. We snorkeled there almost every day. The weekends it was pretty busy with locals, but weekdays it was not too bad.

Never made it to the Aquarium. I was having too much fun snorkeling to go. Now I wish I would have checked it out. Maybe next time.

Theron

Wow Steve, if I failed to mention about a 8 ft tiger shark to my wife, I would be looking for a second room for myself that night. :)

Theron

In hindsight, it was probably not my best moment.....especially when she noted that there was no where to hide and no way to out swim the tiger. I told her....."I don't need to out swim the tiger...I just need to out swim you".

On a positive note.....the hotel's couch was very comfortable that trip.

Where are all the pictures?? (whistle)

Here are a few of my pics from the last couple years. I just used a disposable underwater camera, so colors on the corals are lacking. This year i plan to get an underwater casing for my P&S Nikon.

IMG005.jpg

IMG023.jpg

IMG022-1.jpg

IMG007-1.jpg

IMG006-1.jpg

P7190034.jpg

P7210094.jpg

how do you post the pictures in the body of text instead of attachments

thanks

If you are using photobucket you click on the second of the 3 or 4 link options that they have. Then you click on the little yellow square w/ the mountain in it. Insert link and when you enter your thread/response it will show as a picture and not a link. HTH

nice pictures of the fish, were you diving or snorkeling, what area on the big island do you like to go?

how do you post the pictures in the body of text instead of attachments

thanks

Snorkeling. On the big island we stay in Kona at the Keauhou Kona Surf And Racquet Club Resort. We have some friends who own one of the condos and let us stay for free :D

http://www.konahawaii.com/ksar.htm

To insert pics in the body of the post, use a> minus the spaces