MH question

siskiou

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-04/ac/index.php

The people who are telling you to replace your bulbs are the ones selling you the bulbs in the first place -- kind'a like Jiffy Lube insisting on 3500 miles between oil changes, or DeBeers telling you how many months salary to spend on an engagement ring (laugh)

For most cases, 12 - 18 months seems to be a good rule of thumb.

Lighting period is short because the corals in that tank have been under PC lighting until recently, so I don't want to fry the poor things! :D

Nothing much in there yet that needs the longer lighting period and there are VHOs for the rest of the time.

Overcrowded tank?! I wish!! :)

ok. sounds good. i am actually in the middle of the same thing. i had the photoperiod too high after getting the new metal halides and ended up light shocking my tank. here is what my corals did when the new lights hit them, and where they are now.

When I got the frags new:

green.jpg

IMG_2319.jpg

Here's the light shock. RTN and Bleaching:

IMG_2400.jpg

IMG_2398.jpg

Here's the corals now:

5-9-08FishTank009.jpg

5-9-08FishTank018.jpg

So you are right. Light shock can cause major havoc, and i still only run my Halides for 7 hours a day, and everything is doing fine. I will probably up it to 8 hours soon. Hey you are in Eugene, you should come over and check out my tank, and meet me.