CLAM EMERGENCY!!! HELP Please.

downhill_biker

i came home from work today and my new clam was sitting next to the rock that it had attached to. lying on its side. there was a big chunk of byssal tissue and maybe some foot attached to the rock it was previously on.

the clam was open like normal when i got home, just on its side and in the sand. color and tissue looks normal in the mantle. is this clam going to die? will it be ok? has this happened before?

PLEASE HELP!!! ANY INFO WILL BE APPRECIATED! I just am so nervous, sad, and queezy.

(sad)(scary):(:mad:(sick)

here's the byssal tissue, it is hard and stringy:

5-9-08FishTank028.jpg

5-9-08FishTank029.jpg

here is the clam. it is missing a good chunk of flesh that was in the bottom before:

5-9-08FishTank030.jpg

If the clam shed the tissue on his own (very likely) then he was just trying to find a happier spot to sit. Make sure he is right side up in the sandbed and keep an eye on him for a few days. Because you said his mantle was extended like normal and he was normal color makes me believe this is the casee and he was just "relocating". If the mantle starts seperating from the shell or he stops opening then you may have a dying clam on your hands. only time will tell.

what type of clam is it? If its a crocea they prefer the sand anyhow. I had mine on a small rock shelf and he did the same thing twice and ended up upside down or sidewys in the sand both times before i did a little asking around and found out they generally prefer the sandbed. dunno why. HTH.

He's just looking for the right spot.

From the looks of the foot, it is a Crocea, and IME they like to be up high in the rocks. Mine would also detach when unhappy, and they have also been manually detached by myself. Usually when re-scaping.

The foot looks good. I wouldn't be too worried.

Find a crevasse that his shell fits in up high in the rocks so that it can open and close freely. It should re-attach in a few days.

i have heard the same thing. they are naturally on rocks. i actually decided to move the clam last night before i went to bed and put it above the byssal threads that were still attached to the rock, well in less than an hour, he was already attached. probably only by a few threads, but that is definitely a good sign. i will move it up high in the tank in a few days after it is better attached.

i have heard finding a crevass is not a good idea. they need room to grow and open and close. they are also called a boring clam, as they bore into rocks, so tight spots arent supposed to be good.

As they grow, they secrete a chemical that erodes the rock around their foot.

Look for a spot that will support the lower 1/3rd of the shell on both sides. My clams have always stayed put when I put them in a spot like that. I suppose crevasse was the wrong term, but you get the idea.