Just found something cool/gross

dsoz

I was cleaning my filter sock, and in the process I always check through it to see if there is anything that can be saved (stomatella, snails, amphipods, bristle worms, etc). I ran across a HUGE flatworm. This sucker is between 3/4 and 1 inch long.

I gotta find my camera, and when I do I will take some pics before I dose him with FWE. I guess I gotta get some carbon so I can FWE my tank... AGAIN.

dsoz

It is NOT a stomatella (slug looking thing with a small shield for a shell). It is truly a flatworm, just a very large one. I have never seen one this big (and I was a biology major in college).

dsoz

Looking through one of my reference books (I recommend this one) "Coral Reef Animals of the Indo-Pacific" by Terrence M. Gosliner, David W. Behrens, and Gary C. Williams, it may be a "Polyclad Flatworm". Possibly Paraplanaria oligoglena. "Polyclad flatworms get their name from having "many" branches to their gut. They bear numerous eyes on the head... Polyclads feed on a variety of colonial ascidians and smaller marine animals, which may include other flatworm species. This behavior demonstrates non-specificity in their diet..."

I think it would be great to find a flatworm species that feeds on those predatory and nuisance flatworms. It might make Flatworm Exit a thing of the past. :D