Pest in my millipora help

Jay

Hello all:

I have a pest in some of my sps corals. It came on a purple encrusting millipora. At first I would see these little white tenticles come out at night from under the edge of the coral next to the rock. I saw its head a few times and it looks like a really tiny type of nudibranch with white tenticles. Now I see them around another piece of acropora. Can you help me id this? At first I thought he was kindof cool but now the millipora is having issues.

HELP PLEASE

Jay

I have nudis........how f&%$ sad is that. I just tossed the 2 where I saw them. Funny thing is I had that purple frag with the hitchicker for months and months. occationally I would see these white tenticles poke his head out. He was 1/4 inch and I even saw his black mouth once or twice. I just thought he was eating the slime from te coral and no biggy. I dont think any other corals are infected yet. I guess this sort of thing is what can happen when you trade or buy frags. I just pray that those were all there were but Im not gonna count my chickens yet.

Jay

I can give you some potassium permanganate that you would use to dip your corals in. It is supposed to be the best for killing both the adults AND the eggs (most only kill the adults).

Don't toss the corals. I would be willing to take them and treat them to see if I can get them back to health. If I can save them, you could even have them back (minus a small frag for me). PM me if you are interested

You will want to treat ALL your montipora, and either keep treating each week for two months, or leave the tank free of monti's for two months (treat in a hospital tank).

dsoz

Its the big green plating cap and a purple encrusting coral. I think the encrusting purple one also will grow like the green one when it covers the rock. I just took them all out and tossed them. I hated tossing my big green one. It was probably 15 inches across.

Jay

I will just wait 3 or 4 months then start again with some more caps.

Thanks everyone

Jay

I just checked the green cap I got from you thoroughly.. No signs. I will gladly give you a chunk of it back when you're ready for it. Let me know...

Im sure it was ok.....I hope it is.

Jay

Sam- I would treat the frag that you got from Jay just as a precaution.

Put it in a QT tank, then get some potassium permanganate. If you need some, I can hook you up. I have enough for about 1,000,000 treatments. Just ask and you will have enough to treat any monti's that you have.

My experience is that they like the digitata the most, caps next, and my encrusting type were not even touched. I did find eggs on my purple cap, but not on any others.

dsoz