Clam question

180Brandy

I disagree.

Now, I don't recommend it but if you HAVE to it can be done. I have a crocea that has been relocated MANY times, usually because of a roaming RBTA, or re aquascaping.

It has had it's whole byssal gland ripped clean off at least 5 times. If it's a healthy clam, it will be OK. If you have to do it, make sure to pull the clam to the side rather than straight up.

Now i've heard of the byssal threads tearing off and I know the clam can regrow them but i've never heard of a clam regrowing a whole new byssal organ. Interestesting. FWIW I would never intentionally tear byssal threads, but rather use an exacto knife to cut the byssal threads. Its is generally not recommended to tear byssal threads for fear of tearing out the byssal gland with it. I know it is possible to remove a clam by tearing the byssal threads, but why risk injuring it.

• 2 months later...

Same topic

So I am thinking about a clam, when I do get it home should I try placing it where I would like it to be and hope it likes it to???? The problem is the way I have my rock setup now, which I am thinking will be moved before purchasing anything else anyway.

Any advice for the first time clam shopper???

I would face it towards inward current so it can filter the water properly. More than likely when you place your clam it will adjust on its own. Also different species of clams will like different placements in your aquarium. Some like it on the sandbed, others on LR

Jason

Clam

So I got a great deal.... $30 for this little croceas clam. It about the size of 1 1/2 golf balls. Beautiful blue and green and purple coloring...... I have it in this little shelf bowl I created in a rock and he seems happy, hasn't tried to move and opens nicely for me..... Its beautiful!!!! I will try to get some pics tomorrow when I get home from work.......

Thanks

I'm not sure at what size Crocea's switch to mostly zothanelae ( spell failure on that one ) from filter feeding, but I think it's around 2". You might want to give the little guy some green water in a bowl till he gets a little bigger.

Hopefully someone with more experience/knowledge will chime in on this.