2008 NW Coral Farmers Market

Chief

The 2008 NW Coral Farmers Market will be held on Saturday August 2nd from 10:30 AM to 4 PM.

Ramada Inn and Suites Portland Airport Hotel

6221 NE 82nd Avenue

http://www.nw-cfm.com/

We will have advanced tickets for sale soon.

Local Businesses are encouraged to get involved. We are hoping this will be the stepping stone to getting a Portland area Marine Conference in the future.

Jay

Is Advanced Aquarium from Salem really going to be there again? I thought he was out of the business???

Are they going to have more than just mostly SPS this year? It would be nice to see some of the more in demand softie and LPS pieces (acans and such). Not that I can afford them or anything. It just would be nice to see some of them.

dsoz

Is Advanced Aquarium from Salem really going to be there again? I thought he was out of the business???

Are they going to have more than just mostly SPS this year? It would be nice to see some of the more in demand softie and LPS pieces (acans and such). Not that I can afford them or anything. It just would be nice to see some of them.

dsoz

I don't think he has updated that page from last year yet.

Here is a better idea of who will be there, although this is probably not updated completely.

When you enter the site, click on booths and booth location. We are near the front entrance.

Jay

If you are at a point where you want a lot of rare (expensive) SPS, then this is a great event. If your tank is not set up to handle a lot of expensive, small, frags of SPS, then it is kind of a waste of $15.

You can get similar corals at some of the local stores IF you go at just the right time (new shipment).

I went last year and spent $200, and walked away with 6 new corals. I then got monti-eating-nudis (not from one of the frags from the show) and lost 4 of the 6 pieces. I still have two pieces. One of the pieces that I Still have cannot be found anywhere else in Portland. It was aquacultured by the guy selling it, and only one other person bought it last year. I have traded that coral with two other people up to now, and got some nice pieces from the trades. I have 2 other small pieces that are growing so I can trade them later.

As for the prices, one of the out-of-towners started off with prices high, and sold a bunch of stuff. But once the initial rush died down, he started dropping the price of frags in the late afternoon. I was able to scoop a couple of things for the same price as one thing that I bought in the morning.

I am only going to commit to go once I find out how many other vendors will be there. If it was like last year (2 vendors from out of the area, and 2 local businesses), I probably won't go. If there are more vendors from outside the area, and ones that have a variety of corals (more LPS and softies, especially different colors of zoas, acans, and frogspawn/hammer), then I would consider spending the money on a ticket.

dsoz

. I have traded that coral with two other people up to now, and got some nice pieces from the trades. I have 2 other small pieces that are growing so I can trade them later.

dsoz

And it;s starting to encrust the tile quite nicely now :)