Got my CO2 tank filled, time to hook up the CA reactor

impur

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found my CO2 tubing :D

I did a final leak test on the reactor, and naturally one of the PVC joints is leaking. I covered the area with PVC cement last night, that should fix it. I'll do one more leak test tonight and begin hooking it up tomorrow. I'll take some pics of the process, never know who it can help in the future!

Went to work today on installing this thing. Got both my new probes calibrated, got all the lines connected and started filling it up! Then i noticed another freaking leak. So i got pissed, broke some stuff and went to Jerry's for new PVC parts and rebuilt it. Its drying now, i used lots and lots of glue this time, and also used primer which i didn't use the first time. If this one leaks i don't know what to do. I used half of a small bottle of PVC glue on this one, for only 7 fittings. There is no way it can leak now, just no way. I'll be putting it back online tomorrow. Bleh.

Sounds like a fun weekend... DOH! Well if ya need any help let me know. You gotta use primer though, it melts the plastic together removing the need for glue. Well good luck, mine is running like a champ after some of the same problems. Just takes time and ... some patience.

Its one thing I can say this hobby has tested my patience more than my wife has. LOL

Ok i got it all hooked back up. Currently its running minus the CO2, as i wanted to be sure it would run and not leak. Ran it overnight and no leaks :) So tonight i turn on the CO2. My alk/calcium were off slightly, alk was 10dKH and calcium at 380ppm so i dosed less baking soda today and added a calcium block to raise that today. Should be balanced well tonight and ready to let er rip.

Will do, thanks for the tip. I'll measure alk/calcium in the morning around 7am then again i'll bolt home for lunch at noon and measure. I'll do it again at 5:30 when i get home. I'm gonna keep a log so i can try and tune it quickly. I leave on tuesday eve!

Well my calcium is still slightly low. Thanks again for the advice Dan, probably wouldn't have tested tonight if you hadn't said anything. So i added some Kent calcium to bring it up, it was at 340ppm. alk is good at 9dKH pH in the reactor is down to about 7.2. Slow but sure.

With my water change routine right now Im not even testing.... LOL... sad. The calcium reactor has been running... I dunno almost 2 weeks and I havent tested anything but ph. Water changes are every other day right now. DOH. But I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, I lost 1 SPS but everything else is doing good, the one I lost was on its way out since it was mailed to me though a month or so ago, so it was kinda expected.

Not testing!?!? (scary)

The bubble count had slowed overnight, down to like 1 per 15 seconds so i had to up that. The pH in the reactor is at 7.14 this morning, still needs to go lower. Alk is steady at 9dKH and calcium still at 340ppm, added the rest of my kent calcium, hopefully that will raise it a little.

Mine has held 6.8 pretty constant, and pulls the tank down to about 8.0 ph on the low slide (I stuffed the output in my skimmer). I had a couple issues I think I have resolved (leaks), but with my water change routine its worthless to test right now, but the hair algae that came on the old rock is almost completly gone (clap) Thank god!!!! There was soooo much gunk in the old liverock that I got for free its amazing it could still hold the no3 at "0". Oh well, I think I got most the issues resolved finally, I was about to hang up my gloves in this hobby after a while, due to lack of experience on my part (even though I researched for 3-4 months) and poor information from others on my perticular problem (not their fault). It goes to show if you have a serious problem its best someone come see the system having trouble, only then do I think someone will really have the whole picture to give good advice. But as with your ca reactor I tell you my patience was really tested.. but I didn't lose it.... completly. (nutty) lol.

How many days you gonna be gone? I'll be gone 7! So with no one supplementing daily for me, this is VERY important. I think i'll be ok by the weekend though. Once the pH in the reactor gets to where it should be, it will just involve getting the right effluent drip.

Well there is just no way i set up the reactor perfect the first time is there? I mean i am not that lucky. So far after 4 days of running and not supplementing with the exception of the calcium block, my levels are dead on 9dKH and calcium 380ppm (which necessitates the calcium block). I've had to adjust the bubble count twice though, it seems to slow after a few days.

So how can i keep the bubble count steady? The pressure in the cylinder has gone down almost 10psi, which seems odd to me after only 4 days. There are no leaks, i've checked. Working pressure is 2-3 psi. I've opened the valve on the tank all the way open and it does not affect the working pressure. Using a JBJ reg.