fungus on live rock?

vanz

So i've been having this problem for awhile...i keep thinking it was some kind of algae and that maybe my hermits and snails would take care of it. Wrong they don't even go near the stuff.

It's a black velvetty growth coming from my live rock. It looks fuzzy and is growing onto my toadstool. I remembered scraping it off a while ago and underneath was sludgy stuff. I pretty much removed all of it but has now grown back.

What is it and how do i kill it?

I've been searching over the web with whatever non-blocked keywords I could use, maybe not good enough, but can't find anything about this. I tried taking pictures but my camera/skills sucks. I'll try and get something up though.

I don't think it's a sponge. I have a few of them in my tank, doesn't look like it.

is it very tight to the rock and seems to grow like algae ? I have some on some of my rock, it eventually slowed itself down and I don't even notice it anymore. I don't think anyone I had ate it though - and it never crawled onto corals though. It did grow over coralline however, which frustrated me.

Took some pictures

So here are a couple of pictures...it very well could be cyano. It's like a mat with sludge on the bottom though. Air bubbles are trapped inside also. Can't really see it that well though in my pictures.

Hey Joel, mind doing some water tests?

The first and second picture is the black stuff. The last picture is the cyano growing on my sand. It's not as bad as it was previously. I'm running a phosban reactor right now and it's working pretty well on the nuisance algae, just not the cyano.

post-71-141867738866_thumb.jpg

post-71-141867738868_thumb.jpg

post-71-141867738872_thumb.jpg

yup - very different than what I was thinking it might be. I have some chemiclean if you need it. I used it once and it ROCKED. I'd pass it over your way for a good discount (or frags of any hard corals you have) if you're interested :)