checking out other regions stores....

JeffP

I'm currently down in San Diego for work, and as luck would have it I found a SW store on SDMAS's website and it's only about a mile or so from where I'm working/my hotel. :) And the best part, they are open until 9 on weeknights, which means I can go there. (clap)

My plan is to scout it out tonight, and then if I see things worth trying to get back up north I'll see if he can make me up a container/package to check on the plane for Friday night. If I see anything super cool/different I'll likely do it just to try and bring some unique items up north, and of course if/when I do this and they settle in and start to grow - I'll frag to share the bounty :)

I'll post back after my visit to the store and let you all know what I think (scary)

Jeff,

A good one to check out is the Aquatic Warehouse. (which is in a complex similar to Waves Marine) It's really big, and has lots of goodies. It's been over a year since I've been in there, but I remember a lot of livestock.

The other good one to see is the Octopus's Garden. They are quite a bit smaller but had a great selection of corals when I visited.

I heard good things also about a new place called SW Imports. Supposed to be pretty high end....

Looking forward to hearing about where you visited!

-Sam

Jeff,

A good one to check out is the Aquatic Warehouse. (which is in a complex similar to Waves Marine) It's really big, and has lots of goodies. It's been over a year since I've been in there, but I remember a lot of livestock.

The other good one to see is the Octopus's Garden. They are quite a bit smaller but had a great selection of corals when I visited.

I heard good things also about a new place called SW Imports. Supposed to be pretty high end....

Looking forward to hearing about where you visited!

-Sam

SW Imports is the one close to work, and I think I might try Octopuss Gardens on my way to the airport. Although I just called and they are open until 9, might go tonight and see what they have! Might have to see if I can find Aquatic Warehouse.... sadly, my meeting schedules have changed though - so I might have to sneak out earlier than I though should I find something good.

Aquatic Warehouse is very close to Octopus by the sounds of it, but they close at 7 so that wouldn't work out for me to pre-scout. Bummer. Might need to spend a weekend down here sometime.

it would have to be a pretty little frag to fit in 3.5 ounces of water to check on the plane :)

If you manage to pull it off, you better check it.

Yeah, I would expect to check it. And would let them know it's live animals. Still haven't made it there though :( ended up going for beer last night which prevented me fro mgoing, and it's looking like tonight's the same :(

Yay, finally made it over to the store today. He's got a ton of really big colonies of zoas, rhodactis and some cool looking mushrooms. His hard coral selection so far is a little low, but what he had was quite nice. I saw a REALLY nice monti that he sadly wouldn't frag just yet because it's still small - called it "Fine Wine" it was a super green base with some killer purple polyps, unlike any I'd seen before. And he had a killer acro that was called "Candlelight" that he said is on ATL - but I just looked and couldn't see it. It was a purpleish base and almost glowing new growth and polyps again, VERY nice.

The other guy in the store was jealous that I was from Portland, because of Upscales. I also gave a shoutout to the other stores I like in town like waves, Rose City, Seahorse thanks to the new stuff and SWFS. :)

Next time I come down I'll likely be picking some stuff up - especially if that fine wine grows out. drool.