well the algae has struck

fishiefish

okay so it has happened, now what? I'm doing water changes , my water parameters are near perfect. I would love to hear your experiences in how to make this go away as quickly as possible. I know this happens but whats the best way to get rid of it? so tell me what worked for you. the algae is green and reddish on the tank glass all the sides the front the edges of sand front of rocks an anything equptment thats in the tank.....it is intresting to watch the tang pick at the temp probe but not sureif its actually eating off it(laugh) thanks for your imput

Patience. It's a natural phase in the maturation of a new tank. Vacuum out what you can, get some snails and/or hermits and/or Lawnmower Blennie and let things ride. Shortcuts will just make things worse later.

2 snails per gallon? Wow, did the person who told you that happen to be in the business of selling snails? I've never added more than 1 per every 2 gallons or so.

My favorites are Trochus and nassarius btw.

(scratch)um that would be 180 snails...kinda questionable I will be getting more snails not sure what kind is best for that algae and what is best against my hermite crabs even with umteen shells of different sizes their pushing the snails over an trying to take its shell...what gives?they killed 4 of them in 3 days I also hate having to setthem right side up again so often...so which are good algae eaters but also can hold their own? thanks for your haelp everyone and zoolander not trying to step on your toes...i just think my tank could not have that many snails and then have other stuff too.you soooo called the algae issue though I didnt think it would be this bad.

I have at least 120 snails in my 75gal FWIW.

I like astreas the best. Will eat off the glass and rocks but when get larger they will bulldoze corals and knock them over if they aren't glued/secured.

Next i like ceriths. There are a couple kinds, i try to get 50/50. One kind has a long white shell, the other has a black shell that isn't quite as long. These will eat off the walls, rocks and also burrow in the sand turning it over.

Then i always be sure to have lots of nassarius snails. These are the guys with the cool looking shell. They burrow in the sand during the day and only have their "snout" sticking out. But if you feed its like rise of the dead (laugh) they all come out of the sand looking for food. Out at night as well. These guys will really turn your sand and make quick work of any left over food or decaying things. The only thing i don't like is they burrow under frags on the sand, then come up and knock them over or next to each other.

What kind of algae are you getting? Any pics or can you explain what it looks like?

are you serious? 120? zoolander please accept my apologies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will get right on that nthen. so its a very fine algae the kind that grows on the glass if you leave it but its on all the sides ,the sand at the front edge( I think it would be all over the sand but my diamond golby cleans all the time except he doesnt go up to the edge of the glass)mostly green some is burnt red/brown ...I'm wondering if my window in the same room could be adding to this......I have blinds but some sun does get in...is this bad?

Well, I think that there are so many opinions that a beginner may get confused or even quit if give too much information from too many hobbiest that either don't agree or have not had proven +++ history.

I learned a very valuable lesson, that being, start with a good clean-up crew. You can basiclly take most of what you here with a grain of salt.

I started with a large clean-up crew consisting of blue leg hermits, emerald crab, several different types of snails and left it alone for about two weeks.

The key is a good clean-up crew to stay ahead of the game. In my experience, snails and hermit crab were the best in my new tank. My advice is buy what you think you need, and keep your mouth shut as to how much or how many.

. so its a very fine algae the kind that grows on the glass if you leave it but its on all the sides ' date='the sand at the front edge[/quote']

Do you have a mag-float? It is a magnet that is on the inside of the tank, and another one outside the tank. You move the one outside, and the inside one follows and scrapes the algae off the glass. Even with the best CUC in the world, you will still want to clean the glass every day, or every other day. Otherwise you get small "bite marks" from the snails left in the algae.

Also if you don't scrape the inside glass, then coraline will start to grow all over your glass, and it is a pain to get off once it get going good. Keep on top of it and scrape it off when it is small and you will be much better off.

dsoz :)

yeah I have a mag float....I just was worried about cleaning the glass with the algae cause it makes the water so cloudy I'm back to using it though ...thanks, I'm okay with coraline in some places but not on the front thats for sure. I have about 20 or so blue leg hermits two shrimp and about 10 -15 snail...but now will be getting more

thanks everyone

With a well kept tank you could go lean and mean on cleaners, I would always go a little more than you need and let nature take its course. Another food for thought is watch your feeding, yes you need cleaners but make sure you keep your phosphates down, to do this rinse your food in a shrimp brine net over ro/di water (I just rinse in sink and squeeze out water) and feed sparingly, you should always feed less than you think and work your way up, not the other way. I also cheat a bit by running phosban to remove any trace phosphate so my SPS grow optimally.

Hermits will take out snails occasionally. Not much you can do about it but replace the snails occasionally.

One thing you can do while scraping the sides is put some filter floss over the drain to the sump. That will help filter out the particles. The skimmer will get the rest.

okay update!!! got some more cuc today. I added 7 narsi. snails , 10 turbos( cheaper in bulk(clap))and two emerald crabs...little tiny cute ones. and a little zoa frag(couldnt help myself and its already opening!) as well as some fresh cheato......wow are they all working hard.

dsoz- when I came back my algae glass was covered in trails and "snail bites" it made me graetful for the mag floats......how often do you scrape the coraline off the back? is there any plus side or benificial use to leaving it there? thanks everyone my tank is already lookin better...I have been warned though in the near future I may be paying people to nake the turbos.....as for the moment I'm just happy their always hungry.

have a great night:D

I use a razor blade to "shave" the coraline off any glass surface that I don't want it on.

I allow it to grow on the back wall, mainly because I did not paint the back of my tank, and you can see through it at the wires and the wall. When it is covered in coraline, it gives it a little more "ocean" look than the wires from my lights hanging down.

What color is the zoa frag? If it is something interesting then you have trading material when it grows out. :)

dsoz

You will go through several algae stages and this is normal and can be fun to watch so no worries.

In my system I try to keep as many snails as possible. Go for a variety as they all eat different things and serve different purposes. Mind you I have around a 600 gallon system at the moments so you will want to scale your purchase dow by 10 figures but... Currently I have 25 or so larger turbo snails, which I would try and stay away from given your size tank, 50 black footed snails, 50 astrea, 25 trocus, 25 cerith, 200 nassurus obsselita, 50 nassurus vibex, 2 checkered conches, 1 fighting conch, 100 or so blue leg hermits, 25 red leg hermits, 25 zebra leg hermits, 50 small speckled leg hermits, 10 emerald crabs, 2 sally light foot crabs, 3 tiger tail cucumbers, 4 sand sifting stars, 2 lawn mower blennies, 2 sand sifting gobies, and a few misc. Variety is the key to a good clean up crew and in turn a clean tank. Make sure to get snails that both clean your rock and your glass as certain varieties have preferences. Also sand sifters are crutial in the long term.

Also for the future, make sure to keep good bulbs over your tank. The length you have been running your bulbs can have a huge effect on unwanted algae growth over time.

If you have any questions, these guys for the most part really know their hobby so dont hesitate to ask.

Have fun with the tank!

Garrett