Powerheads for water flow

defigart

Ok so I searched the equipment forum and couldn't find a thread on this, (even though I'd swear I had read it hear somewher).

I had a "melt down" in my personal tank, and then an issue with one of my ballasts, and then... well you get the point.

I am going to redesign my 90. First I am going to sell off my rock (see my forum for details), and install some new lighting. Then I am going to replace my powerheads. So what is the recommendation? A few large ones? Several medium ones? Lots of small ones? Or a mix? I am shooting for at least 900GPH but probably for around 1200GPH-1400GPH. This does not include my sump pump which add a couple hundred or so.

Also what brands do people recommend?

900gph total?

Just get some Maxi-jets if you want 900 gph of flow.

Or 900 gph per powerhead?

If that what you want you can go with 'modded' Maxi-jets. Or spend some money and get some Tunzes/Vortecs. They of course are more than 900gph of flow each.

Seios would be another option.

I like my Koralias, but I love my controllable Tunzes. When I upgrade to a bigger tank, I'll be going 100% Tunze -- the controllability makes things so much easier to set up and run. Unfortunately, I'll have to sell at least one of my kids to pay for them.

I would just use a larger pump in the sump and skip all those powerheads. I guess powerheads in a reef tank are a personal pet pieve of mine. Just one more man made eye soar to look at, one more thing to breakdown one more thing for fish/anemones to get sucked into, one more piece of maintenance in the long run. Use a larger sump pump and a scwd wavemaker, or even a sea swirl. Much cleaner look! I use the scwd educters personally and would never use anything else. I love the natural wave action I get in the reef tank. The euphylia and leathers move in a gentle back and forth motion as if waves were actually going through the tank. SPS absoloutely love it too. Just a thought.

900gph total?

Just get some Maxi-jets if you want 900 gph of flow.

Or 900 gph per powerhead?

If that what you want you can go with 'modded' Maxi-jets. Or spend some money and get some Tunzes/Vortecs. They of course are more than 900gph of flow each.

Seios would be another option.

I have seios with the magnets for mounts. They are ok but be careful with the magnets they will scratch the bajesus on your acrylic. Mine have been going for about 3 years without one failing yet. I got them when they just came on the market. I think the modded maxijets work really good but have never had them. If I was doing a 90 I think I would go with 2 seio or 2 maxijets. If this is a tank that will be going against the wall and not a cube type then think about another one to run behind the rockwork to keep all the mulm up off the sand and in suspension so it can go down the sump and into the filter sock. You could run a wavetimer with maxijets....I did that for a long time. The redsea I think its wavemasterpro is a great wavemaker.

Jay