Unknown Algae

mrjoshua82

Hey everyone,

I purchased some green striped mushrooms about a month ago and they came attached to a nifty little piece of live rock with a few guests attached. There are several tiny little feather dusters, which I love, and a piece of algae I am unable to identify. Unfortunately, it is on the rear of the rock so I am unable to take a picture...go figure. It is purple/pinkish in color and is slightly leafy in appearance. Looks similar to a tiny piece of green leaf lettuce only purple in color. It is not coraline algae. It is growing slowly and not spreading very far so I'm not worried about it. It is actually rather cute so i'm hoping it is something that I can keep. If you have any ideas about it please let me know. I'm new to the hobby so it's probably something common and I just don't know it:-) Thanks again!

Thanks. Good to know. Only have 2 perculas but the macroalgae isn't growing fast and its pretty cute so I'll just let it be for now. Today I noticed what appears to be a few super-tiny bubbles of bubble algae. That concerns me more. Everything seems to clear up on its own in my tank though so I think it will be ok. I know you can an emerald crab to eat BA but I just recently had a hooooorrible experience with a hawaiian strawberry crab so I don't trust true crabs anymore. The strawberry grabbed my McCosker's wrasse behind the head and tore a chunk out during the night. The wrasse died soon after. Needless to say he was removed immediately...evil thing.