Zoa eating pods

impur

Yep coris can be even more nasty than a six line, but just in a different way. They loooooove hermit crabs and snails!!! Hopefully you picked up the nice clown fair wrasse, Cirrhilabrus solorensis one of the most common fairy wrasses in the trade, also a good pest grazers. I have to say that my sixline is the biggest (censored)-hole , but also a very very efficient hunter always pickin away. I just know that the six line does 2 things: pesters other fish big or small, and hunts, hunts, and hunts some more. What he does do he does well, double edged sword I guess. Six lines are also very common, hardy, and inexpensive. I know that they are not the greatest fish, but they do do some good and someones gotta stick up for em!!

Sixlines are good sometimes(whistle) I had one that would not bug fish as everyone was bigger than it but it did kill a cleaner shrimp(sad) But as stated it was all over the tank picking at things. As for now I have 3 wrasses in my tank and they all seem to get along good.

Thanks! I bought it as a whiptail flasher wrasse FWIW. I really haven't tried to ID it. I've noticed him eating things here and there off the walls, but not much hunting. I think i need to add a coris or leopard wrasse for that.

I have removed the zoa colony that was being eaten to QT and dipped it. I haven't noticed any more damage, nor have i seen anymore damage to the remaining zoas in the display. I also removed a hermit that came in with an order of scarlet hermits. This hermit was all white. I saw it clawing and pulling at the flesh on my PPE one night last week. I'm starting to think that it was a joint effort, the hermit took all the tenticles he wanted, then the pods came in and cleaned up the remaining tenticles and damaged polyps.

Incidentally i found a bright blue bristleworm yesterday, about 6" long. And i also found some absolutely HUGE pods, pushing 1" long!!!

And i also found some absolutely HUGE pods' date=' pushing 1" long!!![/quote']

When I worked in Newport at the HMSC for a couple of summers, my topic of research was amphipods. Just for fun I went 'pod hunting in the bay. We came back with some that were almost 1.25 inches! The claws on the males were almost big enough to eat (just kidding). So big 'pods live here in Oregon too!!!

dsoz

Hey nice Wrasse I have the exact same one:D And mine does not pick at the rock much either. It just swims around and waits for the food to come in the tank. I also have a leopard wrasse and it picks all the time even when food goes in. I just lost my Solar wrasse yesterday and not sure what got it(sad) I really loved the color in it but the red wrasse did not really like it much so not sure if it got it or what. But it and the leopard get along great go figure.

Wow, i never thought about them on the coast here. Maybe they'll have some when we go for the tour?

How was the trip Dennis?

Trip was GREAT :) :) :):)

There are many species that live in the Oregon waters. The last time that I was at the HMSC, they had a little hand-on area that had some live amphipods that you could look at under a microscope. Maybe it is still there.

All you need to do is go out to the bay (mud flat at low tide) and find some sheets of algae. Look in the folds, and you will see amphipods, copepods, isopods galore!!! The ones that I collected to see if I could culture in the lab were actually found in the drain from the HMSC saltwater system. There is a lot of algae growing in the drain system, and the 'pods live on the algae. (sounds strangely familiar)

dsoz