Stocking Levels

andy

Stocking Levels  

1. 1.

• Lightly stocked
    • Moderately stocked
    • Heavily stocked
    • Overloaded

I've always felt that the stocking level in my tank was medium, leaning towards heavy; lately, I've seen a lot of tanks that seem to be much more heavily loaded and I'm beginning to wonder.

Would you consider an over-skimmed (skimmer suitable for a 120g system) 70gal total water volume reef containing:

• 1x adult Banngai Cardinal
  • 1x juvenile Coris Wrasse
  • 2x adult Ocellaris Clowns
  • 1x 3" Yellow Tank
  • 1x adult Flame Angel

to be lightly stocked, moderately stocked, heavily stocked, or overloaded?

Seems light to me. I have a total volume of around 180g, skimmer rated for up to 400G, and stocked with:

1. 1 Med Clown
  2. 1 Med Purple tang
  3. 1 Med Salifin Tang
  4. 1 Med Convict tang
  5. 5 Female Lyretail anthias
  6. 1 Male Lyretail Anthia
  7. 5 Med Wrasse
  8. 4 Small Cardials

I still would like to get some more of the Cardials. I doubt I could get away with more Tangs or Wrasses though.

Rich

I voted 'lightly' stocked.

But I think there is something you are forgetting in your quest. I know your tank isn't 'really rock heavy' but if you had mass amounts of rock in a tank with little swimming room that is something that needs to be taken into consideration also. Just my $.02.

Seems light to me, but I gues that just depends on filtration and amount of labor you want to do. In my 90 gallon reef I have:

7 blue chromis

1 six line straight outa hell(flame)

1 royal grama

1 coral beauty

1 purple tile

1 scotts fairy

1 female maroon

1 firefish

1 pink square anthias

1 purple tang

1 chooclate tang

1 target goby

Think thats all of them. All fish are med-lg for their species. I am definitely at max load as far a the fishes comfort level goes but my water parameters are always perfect. Well I kind of cheated and bought a Korallin biodenitrator that keeps my nitrates at 1ppm or less. I do a 10% monthly water change and thats about it. I wanted my tank to be as maintenance free as possible.

Ok what do you think of mine. I think it really also depends on the dimentions of your tank and amount of liverock and if the tank is aged with a good amount of livesand.

I have a 120 gallon with 4 gallon sump. I am estimating it at 120 gallons with the rock. I have

1 Yellow tang that will not allow another fish

2 big Clarks Clownfish

1 Coral Beauty adult

1 boxer shrimp

1 fire shrimp

Big anemone about 16 inches

Red bubbletip anemone

1 Blue knuckle hermit

a few small blue leggs

2 big snails

2 big green brittle stars

1 bubble star

1 serpent star

About 80-100 pounds liverock and a 3-4 inch sand bed

I run a weak skimmer but have about 2 basketball size cheato in my refugium.

Is this heavy stocked? I think it must be. The yellow tank wont allow any new fish. It will chase it to death in short order. Anyone in Vancouver have a fishtrap I could borrow someday when I want rid of the tang?

Jay

65-70g total volume:

3 anthias (2 males!!)

1 banggai cardinal

1 6 line wrasse

1 mystery wrasse

1 longnose hawkfish

2 flame hawkfish

1 african flameback angelfish

I won't lie it's a delicate balance, pretty much maxed out on bioload.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with some of the points made, things to consider IMO:

Skimmer rated at 120 gallons depending on the brand, etc this doesnt mean much, unless we know what it is.

The amount of rock you have will increase filtration, but ONLY if you have enough flow. Rock packed into a tank filled with dead spots because of the way its stacked, and because of lack of flow causes more harm than good.

Depending on those things, I think would help.

Off the bat though, I would say medium. Lightly stocked IMO is like my front cube tank, 1 angel, 2 clowns and a 6 line wrasse in a 90 gallon.

I'd say light.

Mines a 210 with:

1 Royal Gramma

1 Strawberry Psuedochromis

1 Purple Tang

1 Sailfin Tang

1 Blue Hippo Tang

1 Phillipenes Yellow Tang

1 Randalls Goby

1 Pair Maroon Clowns

1 Possum Wrasse

1 Manderin Goby

1 Scooter Blenny

1 Dragonface Pipefish

1 Foxface

1 Pair Lyretail Anthias

1 Pair Purple Firefish

1 Dusky Jawfish

1 Yellow Watchman Goby

1 Barnacle Blenny

Seems like alot after seeing it wrote down.

• 2 weeks later...
I agree with some of the points made, things to consider IMO:

Skimmer rated at 120 gallons depending on the brand, etc this doesnt mean much, unless we know what it is.

The amount of rock you have will increase filtration, but ONLY if you have enough flow. Rock packed into a tank filled with dead spots because of the way its stacked, and because of lack of flow causes more harm than good.

Excellent points. I found until I started actively moving water through my rock that the dead spots would always create problems in previous tanks. Now with the closed loop and spray bars I have the tank I always wanted. I just added a nice skimmer to the tank as well. I don't think I will ever run a tank again without spray bars under the rock work.

I have 4 fish in a 65 (leaopard wrasse, pink spotted watchman goby, manderin, bi color blenny) I consider myself one or two fish away from maxing out my tank. Just have to decide which wrasse and maybe tang I want to add. (plotting)

After I get those I might have room for one more fish. (whistle););) It's a disease. I even took off work early today to come play with the fish. As I did friday, as I did last week. Have vacation time scheduled next month to reaquascape. I think I may need counciling.