how to raise pH level to 8.4

sontdo

I bought an Aquacontroller with pH probe to monitor my pH level. I calibrated it. The water is around 7.98 to 8. I add pH Buffer every day but cannot get it to stay above 8 or close to 8.4. I don't have a calcium reactor. Do you recommend I use Pickle Lime or Kalwasser to raise pH level? I have a 100G tank. How to mix Mrs. Wages Pickle Lime?

what time of day are you testing??

before you try to add anything to raise the ph first do this drill to possibly identify why it is low instead of treating the symptom of another issue

1. test the tanks PH

2. take a glass full of tankwater in the same room the tank is in and stir it violently for a minute. test the ph

3. take a glass of tankwater outside and stir it biolently for a minute. test the ph

this will in most cases identify why most people have low ph(and 7.98 isnt all that bad especially if taken in the morning). not enough surface exchange to promote good gas exchange and or high CO2 levels in the house are the usual reasons for slightly low ph when everything else is in line.

hth

Kalk to raise pH

I began using Kalk to raise pH, which was not the best reason to use it. Since at that time I only had soft corals( 'til 3 days ago and a Rose Milli, thanks to Nyles) I didn't need a lot of Calcium.

I started using a modified "Calfo slurry" (with vinegar) to raise my pH primarily. What happened was, that because calcium hydroxide is a "balanced" additive, I could simultaneously raise my CA and pretty much maintain my Alk.

I can raise my pH with Kalk, but again it will drop slightly each day. and I have not been able to safely raise it into the 8.4 range, consistently (not more than .2 quick jump). Because pH is a logarithmic measurement scale it does equate to dosing easily.

I then modified my thinking process and I now use Kalk for what it was intended and that is to raise CA and maintain dKH.Although I would still like to raise my pH, it is not as important to me as it once was.

Once you figure your daily need for Ca, you've got it wired. I've got 2 kilos of Seachem 8.3 buffer that I don't need very often, getting dusty.

A LFS owner was aghast that I was using Calcium Hydroxide. The fact is; that when used correctly, Kalk is safe, inexpensive, time tested, and effective. I think if you use it prudently you will be sold. I love Kalk.(nono)

Any baking soda vs.washing soda derived buffer is going to be short lived in a Carbon Dioxide rich environment.

I would like to hear what some others have to say as solutions for raising pH. I think that there are a number of people that actually understand Randy Holmes (at Advanced Aquarist).

I am pretty new to this obsession, BUT I am REALLY good at pretending I know what I am talking about.

Dosing Kalk Ala Calfo

There a a number of aquarists dripping Kalk,some for good reasons some not so good. Right now I prefer to use a slurry. There are both advantages and disadvantages.

Here is how Anthony Calfo suggests dosing Calcium Hydroxide via a "slurry" in his new edition of Coral Propagation, which I highly recommend, and Wet Web and Reef Lounge or (such)?

First of all , since you are not removing impurities in the Kalk it is essential to get a good grade of Kalk. There is a food grade, lab grade, municipal water grade, etc. each of these are tested to different standards. Not surprisingly, some re-packagers do not list what grade they are selling. Mrs. Wages is good food grade Kalk. Here is a link to various grades. http://wwww.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.php

Having trouble with the above link, my apologies.

You take an accurate CA reading over 2-3 days to determine your Ca usage per day, but you can do that later. It is best to dose at lights off time since this is when co2 is highest and it buffers for the night. I've got such high co2 in my house I can dose during lights-on, it's just less effective.

You need cold water (RODI), since Kalk dissolves at a lower temperature (Calfo has his in a fridge). The amount of water is not important. I mix what my daily top-off (usually 16-320 oz) is going to be, so it can vary widely(also a benefit). With a 100 gallon tank (assuming your calcium & dKH are not wacked) I would begin with 1 tsp-5ml.) Whisk this mixture in a container thoroughly, but not to excess. Pour SLOWLY into an area of high velocity (I simply rotate a Koralia powerhead toward the surface and in the direction I am going to pour) You MUST have your pH probe in the main tank and be monitoring the pH value to make sure it does not jump past .2 or so while you are dosing. This reading will do a brief spike. Come back in 30-45 minutes later and get a truer pH reading.

It sounds a little intense, but you only have to do the pH probe routine a few times. In the long run it works for me. YMMV.

Her is an article about using vinegar with Kalk

Best Wishes

http://www.reefscapes.net/articles/breefcase/kalkwasser.html

I agree with Nyles and Mike. As long as its steady, 7.98 if fine. Its the large swings that are not good.

Are your corals not doing well?

If you simply want to increase your pH, by far the easiest thing to do is bring outside air into your skimmer. This will help drive off excess CO2 in the water, raising the pH. And all without any chemicals or affecting your alk/calcium. You can test this by taking a bowl of your tank water and areating it outside. Then test the pH and compare to the tank.

All I can say is sometimes tinkering does more bad than good, if you dont have issues I would leave it, a 7.98 PH is better than I have and I have has success for a few years, I would not run kalk unless you need more cal and alk, and even then run it conservatively to start. Kalk can cause more trouble than its worth if your not careful.

I started dosing Kalk a few weeks ago, replacing the DIY 2-part I had been using for a couple of years. I was expecting to see a major improvement to my pH as a side effect, but honestly I don't think it's made that much of a difference. I have it controlled by my ACjr, set up to make up for evaporation by only dripping over night While it drips it does help.. but once it stops pH starts to drop at the same rate.

Right now my pH reaches 8.1 +/- 0.1 during the day, dropping to a low of 7.9 +/- 0.1 overnight. Before I started dosing kalk, my peaks were maybe 0.1 lower. I do think dosing the kalk has stabilized my daily average, reducing variation and that's a good thing.

Nyles has it right IMO. Kalk can be a great way to add Ca and alk, and it has some nice side effects but it definitely isn't a magic bullet for pH.

my skimmer has an airline' date=' venturi valve/line. this morning the pH is 7.89[/quote']

Right, but you have to run it to a window or something. Otherwise you are just injecting CO2 concentrated air into the water, which will keep your pH low. You need CO2-free air, which will drive off excess CO2 in the water and in turn raise pH. This can only be done by drawing in air from outside the home. An enclosed home always has excess CO2 levels.

Believe me it works. Try the test i posted on the first page if you don't believe me. It will prove it. Or be happy with 7.9. I ran a 29gal at 7.9 for about 18m without problems.