Tank drilling for dummies

Miniwhinny

Need help guys(whistle). I'm moving everything out of my 29 today ... because I just can't get things (equipment wise) how I want it. I'm going to run my 29 with a 5 gallon sump. Here's where I need help...knowing how to get the water from the top to the bottom and back....see told you this was "for dummies" LOL. I know one way is an overflow but I'd rather drill. I'm sure I read somewhere that drilling is the better way to go...but, how and where do I drill? Should the hole be in the center at the back near the top and how big should it be?

My tank seems way too full of stuff so I'd like a sump to hold my skimmer, phosban reactor, heater, and fuge.

Thanks for any advice and help on drilling.

You need a glass drilling bit. You can get them on e-bay, or you can borrow one. If you can't find one on the East side of the mountain, let me know and I can help you out.

You need to decide how big of a hole you want to drill to fit your plumbing. The rule is the more flow you get (from your pump), the bigger the pipe should be. Usually 1.5 or 2 inch should be good for your hole.

You need to get bulkheads. Thease allow you to have a hole in your glass that has a pipe come out, but the hole does not leak.

As for position, that is up to you. I drilled mine near the top of the tank, then built a glass box that serves as an overflow (prevents all the water from draining down to the level of the hole). See the thread here

http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4984

You should be able to see the hole-cutter (attached to the drill), and the whole process.

If you want something that is slick, check out Uhuru's tank thread. It has a neat way to accomplish the same thing, and it takes up a lot less room than my overflow box. I am thinking about removing the box in my tank and replacing it with a bar like the one that is here. (some other time... not right now.)

http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7000

I hope this gives you some ideas, and gives you a place to as more questions. My advice is to plan it all out well in advance, then have all the materials available when you want to start. Good luck :)

dsoz

Thanks dsoz, as usual you are a wealth of information. I'll check out the threads...I love Uhuru's pipe, I've drooled over that tank...I think that may be the way to go. Thanks also for the offer of help. We have a glass cutting shop in town here (they do windsheilds, mirrors, windows etc) so I'll call in there this afternoon and see if they can cut it for me.

Thanks again.

I don't think I can do it myself...no tools.

I did get your e-mail too...thanks :D

If you want to try, give me a PM. I would be willing to help you, and let you use my drill and hole saw. You would just need to bring your tank (empty), over one day when you come visit in Portland. It would take about 30 minutes from set-up to clean up (drilling 2-3 holes).

dsoz

Depending on what size of holes you are looking for, I have hole saws that I could send you. I believe I have the saws for 1 inch and 3/4 inch bulkheads.

I bought them about a year ago and have never used them. I have loaned them out a few times, but never got around to using them.

If you are feeling confident, I can send them anytime. As someone said before. Practice on a spare piece of glass. I know that Nyles used them not to long ago and he said they cut like butter.

Jay

Also remember to check that the tank is not tempered. I made that mistake with my sons 29 and the back shattered. It was temepred on all 5 sides. As for drilling a 29 it is real easy but remember to let the drill do the work as they are not real thick. I also have a few hole saws so if you need them just say something. And remember you can always use a dremel and cut away part of the back and run an external overflow if you wanted to. Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide.

Oh you guys are TOO amazing!!!! Thank you ALL. After we were burgled last summer I remember dsoz telling me to come find this web site....Boy am I sorry it took me this long LOL...you guys are great.

Spectra - "And remember you can always use a dremel and cut away part of the back and run an external overflow if you wanted to." Can you explain what you mean by this?

I've heard that hang on overflows are a pain in the flowerbed but I actually don't know anyone with one and don't know why. Are they really that bad? Seems a lot easier to hang on an overflow than to drill.

Uhuru...I sent you an e-mail but it wouldn't go through. Just to let you know that I'm probably going to end up with two tanks...one for my softies and one for SPS :D

Hang on overflows rely on a siphon to move the water OVER the back wall. If that siphon breaks, for whatever reason, the tank will overflow.

I used a HOB overflow for about 6 months, and did not have a problem with it. I just was able to get a new tank and wanted to drill before it was set up. It is a lot easier to drill when you don't need to be concerned about the contents.

On cutting an overflow, someone on here (I don't remember who) use a dremmel and cut about 1 inch off the top edge of his tank, them built an external box to hold the water that spills out. It then drained to the sump from there. I am not explaining this well, but my class is about to start and I need to deal with teenagers.

dsoz

Hang on overflows rely on a siphon to move the water OVER the back wall. If that siphon breaks, for whatever reason, the tank will overflow.

I used a HOB overflow for about 6 months, and did not have a problem with it. I just was able to get a new tank and wanted to drill before it was set up. It is a lot easier to drill when you don't need to be concerned about the contents.

On cutting an overflow, someone on here (I don't remember who) use a dremmel and cut about 1 inch off the top edge of his tank, them built an external box to hold the water that spills out. It then drained to the sump from there. I am not explaining this well, but my class is about to start and I need to deal with teenagers.

dsoz

Oh okay...I can picture what you're saying.

Have fun with your class...my first born turns 18 tomorrow :D

Yes Impur did it and then I copied his design and did one myself. Here are a few pics and there was a thread somewhere but can not find it. Nanoreefer has the tank now and he sent me a pic of it but has not posted yet. Anyway I realy like the set up and it worked awsome for what I wanted for my sons tank at the time. If I was to do it agian I would ditch the Durso and run the Herby style in it as they are much quieter.

post-523-141867738534_thumb.jpg

post-523-141867738537_thumb.jpg

The member that cut the back of his tank for an overflow was Miles (impur). He could probably give some detail as to how he did it.

Jay

Boy can I!!!!

Here we go. This was done on a 29gal.

First I removed a section of the trim

P1060106.jpg

Next i drew on the line i would cut.

P1060107.jpg

I used this bit to cut thru the glass(not the cutting disc). Use lots of water!!!

P1060110.jpg

All cut

P1080001.jpg

Glass and DIY bulkheads

P1080005.jpg

P1080004.jpg

Same bit for the bottom of the overflow box

P1080003.jpg

P1080006.jpg

Siliconing to the back of the tank

P1090010.jpg

P1090013.jpg

P1090014.jpg

P1090015.jpg

Back painted black, plumbing installed

P2010057.jpg

Siliconing on a black piece of acrylic to hide plumbing

P2010059.jpg

DIY overflow teeth

P2010056.jpg

The rest of the plumbing. One drain went to the fuge, the other to the sump. The fuge drained into the sump also

P2030002.jpg

Water test

P1210040.jpg

In all its former glory

P4040011.jpg

P6080026.jpg

I use a hang on overflow box on my 90 gallon reef and have never had any problems. The make a pump called an aqualifter that is specifically designed to prevent the loss of syphon. You use this pump with a U-tube that has a 1/4in nipple and run 1/4in airline from the U-tube to the aqualifter and from the aqualifter to the sump. They even make a pre-filter for the pump if you are worried about clogging. This way when you leave for an overnighter you never ever have to worry about the loss of syphon because there is always a pump there to restart it. I've seen many successful tank drills as well as mainy failures. Not much of a gamblin man so I went with the hang on overflow box.

impur...that overflow is awesome !!!! I'm impressed.

But, the more I look into doing this, the more mrgreenthumbs route looks the easiest for me..what a coward :D. I need to get it done so my "pets" can get back in their home.

Maybe I'll pick up another tank and spend my time on it (or save for uhuru's)

This has been a cool thread...I've learned a lot.

I like the design miles! but trusting silicone to bond always scares the poo out of me! lol Mind you' date=' I've never had siliclne fail but it still scares me haha![/quote']

I ran the same set up for almost a year and no problems. Hell I even cracked the overflow and just squeezed a whole tube in the bottom and let it set up:eek: Well it held and no leaks for the whole time the tank was running. It took alot to pull the old overflow off when I sold the tank and fixed it. Am thinking of doing the same set up on a new tank I am going to put togeher.