Seahorse Tankmate Article

pledosophy

I did notice that you have true percs, but not false percs.

Is the picture of the perc truely a perc? It looks like an ocellaris. I thought that the true perc has an orange ring around the eye, and the ocellaris has a black ring around the eye.

Maybe I was looking at this too closely too early in the morning (before my first cup of coffee).

I still think that this is a great web page that you put together. :)

dsoz

I'm not the best at clown ID. As far as I know that is a perc, true or false, IDK. I would consider both a 3 and not really keep either with a seahorse IMO/IME unless you have another home to put them in.

IME with the clowns they are fine at smaller sizes and then get more aggressive. Clowns are fairly aggressive and tend to defend there turf. Can be problematic with seahorses. There is also some feeding issues that need to be carefully worked out IME.

If someone could confirm the Perc I will make the updates next time around. We are already working on the next update, will include some more fish, more corals, and a brief little description about the various fish and the best ways to keep them with seahorses. Our goal is to make it the best compatibility chart for seahorses anywhere, it's a hefty goal, but we're up for it.

I'm glad it could hep someone.

The threat levels seem to be well researched.

Ya we hooked it up. There is a lot of research in there and ancedotal reports from a few thousand people. You can't imagine how much fun it was researching and organizing that.

I did notice that you have true percs, but not false percs.

Is the picture of the perc truely a perc? It looks like an ocellaris. I thought that the true perc has an orange ring around the eye, and the ocellaris has a black ring around the eye.

Maybe I was looking at this too closely too early in the morning (before my first cup of coffee).

I still think that this is a great web page that you put together. :)

dsoz

The major difference is in the number of dorsal spines - 11 for Amphiprion ocellaris, and 10 or 9 for A. percula.

Although it is difficult to see if that is an 11th dorsal spine in the picture, as the dorsal fin extends slighty beyond the orange coloration, true percs tend to have more of a black bordering the white bands. It looks like A. ocellaris to me, too.

A. percula may be a bit more aggressive.