Keeping peacful corals away from semi-agressive corals

Zoolander

I thought I had it figured out by keeping the peaceful corals on the other side of the tank but, to my surprise, when I woke up this morning, an anemone had crossed the tank and moved in to a rock that I was going to put peacefuls on.

How do I keep my peaceful coral separate from my semi-agressive coral?

THere is no way to keep them apart if you insist on keeping an anemone. They will travel to the exact spot that you don't want them to go to. That is one more reason why I don't really want another anemone. Unless it is in a species tank that is set up for it.

Get rid of the 'nem and get frogspawn instead. Looks similar, and many clowns will host the FS as well. The best part is that FS does not move around.

dsoz

I have not had a problem with the sweepers on frogspawn. They have sweepers that are barely larger than normal (4 inches compared to 3 inches). I have had problems with sweepers on Torch, which were almost 7-8 inches long, compared to the normal tentacles of 3-4 inches. I have also had problems with galaxy corals, which have a normal tentacle of about 1/2-1 inch, but a sweeper of 4-5 inches. You think you are safe then three weeks later these obnoxiously long tentacles appear and everything down-stream is toast.

Look here at post #8 to see a picture of a galaxy that includes a sweeper (long thin thread) http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4984

As for growing quickly... depends on your lighting, feeding, and tank parameters. I have had a problem in my tank with phosphates (slowly getting this fixed). Phosphates keep stony corals from growing. So my frogspawn have not grown as much as they could have. There was a time last summer where I was feeding my FS every other day, then once school started, I dropped to about once every two weeks. When I fed more they grew faster, but it also set up high phosphates in my system that was detrimental to everything else.

Look here http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3651&page=4 at post #73 for pictures of the frogspawn forest that I had set up before I moved tanks. All three FS are still there. I just counted today and my first FS started with 2 heads, now has 6 (bought in April '07), my second FS started with 3 heads, and now has 7 with a bunch of little "buds" growing from underneath. (bought June '07) My third FS started with 3 heads, and is now up to 8 (traded in July '07). I think this is rather slow for growth.

current pictures

my first FS

mocktrial003.jpg

my second FS

mocktrial002.jpg

my third FS

mocktrial001.jpg

Two hammers, one bought 9/07 (1 head splitting into 3 heads) the smaller one bought yesterday

mocktrial006.jpg

current pic of galaxy

mocktrial004.jpg

dsoz

My clowns love my frogspawns. I have 2 different colors. One is a branching type and grows quickly, the other non-branching and grows pretty slow. I have never seen sweepers out on either of them, but i keep other corals away from their tenticles anyway.

100_0505.jpg

P7190078.jpg