My hermit crab is in two pieces but not dead. Help?

Zoolander

My largest hermit crab has been spending a lot of time in his shell lately. This evening I looked at the tank to see about 4 legs and I think a claw sitting outside his shell. I thought he was dead but I just looked in there again and he has moved to the sand and is alive. There is a larger shell in there for him but he has not taken it.

What just happened? (scratch)

Is it a molt?

If the exoskeleton gets too small, the crab will "change clothes" and shed the old exoskeleton. Then it will spend about a day or so hidden in the snail shell so that the new set of larger clothes will harden up.

dsoz.

Ok, I lied. They hide in their shell so well that I totall missed it. Both shells were next to each other as well the exoskeleton making me think a hostile takeover had occurred. That exoskeleton looks more like the hermit crab than I thought it would. To make sure I was right, I flipped over all the shells in the front of the tank and sure enough they all crawled away. So.... it was the exoskeleton, it's just more realistic than I thought it would be. Total noob post, lol.

I would definitely be down for a few shells, though. Thanks for all the help.

Ha! Sounds like me.

I thought I was having a major hermit die off in my tank because I was finding hermit chunks floating around about once or twice a week. I was close to dropping in extra food because I thought they were starving.

Then, I saw that despite said chunks, my population of crabs wasn't dropping. Being a smart guy, I put two and two together and realized that the suckers were molting.

Ah, the joys of experience!