Reefbum Live!

Krux

Keith is live streaming right now with Andy and Eli, be sure to catch the stream or watch it later.  Let’s boost those views.

I hear if we bribe Eli with corals and drive the samples to his lab we can move up in the queue… pro tips from watching the videos!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

SO GREAT!  We are getting rid of Elegance Coral Disease!!!! - so says Mark Levinstein of Coral magazine.

Andy was able to get a sneak peak of that article.  I can’t wait to read this one.

There were some great updates, but also a lot of the info from Eli's talk at Reefstock was included so great for folks who were sad they missed it!

I’ve seen the aquabiome results around r2r but hearing more about how to interpret them was very interesting. I ordered 2 tests because I’m curious to see the results for my QT and DT. My QT was getting good coral growth and color. My DT doesn’t have as great of growth and color. There’s a few differences but I dose ammonia on the QT since it’s fishless. I may have to start dosing ammonia to promote better bacteria. Both tanks were started with ocean rock (DT= kp aquatics, QT= TBS) thanks for the link @Krux and @Lexinverts for discussion. 

• Like 2

Hopefully when you get the results back everyone can benefit from your findings - specifically how lower livestock impacts the stability of the biome.  Very cool idea!

I will be doing one in May now that my tank has mostly stabilized but I have so many variables: fish population swings, a live sand addition, tank dieoff and regrowth, UV and Ozone.  My hope is to get a baseline and find some guidance on how to steer things and then do some monthly or every other month tests to see how the numbers move.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Krux said:

Hopefully when you get the results back everyone can benefit from your findings - specifically how lower livestock impacts the stability of the biome.  Very cool idea!

I will be doing one in May now that my tank has mostly stabilized but I have so many variables: fish population swings, a live sand addition, tank dieoff and regrowth, UV and Ozone.  My hope is to get a baseline and find some guidance on how to steer things and then do some monthly or every other month tests to see how the numbers move.

Are your ICP results looking better now?

Still awaiting results on the 4/18 test but hoping so! 

I had a problem with my Trident and had to start testing on my Hanna testers for a week while I got it straightened out so there may have been some blips in my normal parameters.  I don't automatically dose based on the Trident, but I do use it to maintain level numbers so I could be 5 or 10% off my usual levels.  In general I follow the school of thought that consistency is better than swings to hit perfection.  I did do some suggested trace element work using the Reef Moonshiners spreadsheet (specifically K) so we will see if any of those numbers moved into better lanes as I understand several elements are tied together.

I really am just looking for two tests in a row with similar numbers so I can set a new baseline, then I can start trying to make adjustments to optimize parameters - biome will be the step after that.