Leathers are melting and rest are dying

BeardUp

I woke up Friday to my living room smelling like the beach and my skimmer overflowing. Everything in my 40b was closed up and all my leathers shedding bad. Anemones were all splitting. 

I did a 5g water change and added carbon. Saturday things were worse and the leathers looked like they were melting and my skimmer is overflowing.

Things have been getting worse all week. The nems are pale and pretty little. Everything else is still closed up even the zoas and palys. Sps are dead. 

Temp is 78

Salinity is 1.024

Alk is high at 13.5 after the water changes. 

I am making another 10g of water now. 

Is there anything I can do? 

Pics are 2 weeks ago and today. 

20240204_120117.jpg

17102877166371946478898409567825.jpg

I would assume ammonia is running wild, probably time for some Prime and do a wet skim water change. With skimmer overflowing, drain skimmate into bucket and replace with fresh salt water (do about 5 gals this way, direct change more). Definitely need more than a 5 gal change, with things this off id try and do more like 15 gal change.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Zach0225 said:

Did a nem die or get caught in a powerhead? Did you check ammonia? 

I highly doubt it. They have not left the center rock formation in many years and the nero is up high on the glass. The way the skimmer is going and the algea covering the glass so quickly, it does point to a death though. 

I unfortunately don't have an ammonia test. I will pick one up. 

9 minutes ago, Blue Z Reef said:

I would assume ammonia is running wild, probably time for some Prime and do a wet skim water change. With skimmer overflowing, drain skimmate into bucket and replace with fresh salt water (do about 5 gals this way, direct change more). Definitely need more than a 5 gal change, with things this off id try and do more like 15 gal change.

Thanks! I am mixing 10g now but will add another 5 and start filtering more for tomorrow. That's a good point about replacing with saltwater. The ato had been clicking on more with how much skimmate its been pulling. The bucket is a good idea too. 

This is what they look like today after 10-15 gallon water changes every other day. They are just melting. That toadstool used to go all the way across my 40 breeder. I even sucked up a bunch of the sinularia during the last 2 water changes. 

Salvageable or should I just take the rocks and coral out?

20240315_205826.jpg

• Sad 2

On 3/12/2024 at 7:34 PM, Blue Z Reef said:

This would be my go to also wet change QD until things look better.