IKEA Skadis Pegboard Query

Krux

Has anyone used the skadis system for reef organization, either in their sumps or in their fish rooms?

I am going to be adding the system in to help with organization and am looking for photos or stl files that might be useful.  I would like to use the boards to hold equipment controllers/drivers as well as for cord management, but the unique hole shapes mean either bolting things onto the boards with machine screws, using command strips, or 3D printing some custom brackets and cradles.

if you have used these and don’t mind sharing your experience that would be awesome.

TIA

Looked the product up.  At first, it looked great.    Put standoffs behind it.  slots could allow easy ziptie of components.  Drill holes, shove some cords behind it...

Then I looked at the material it's made from.   Doesn't excite me.   What's different between this and home depot pegboard.    Is it the extra accessories that have you interested.     Long term, I'm never happy with fiberboard around my tank.  Especially when I'm likely to drill it.

Main parts:
Fiberboard, Acrylic paint
  • Like 1

My wife suggested we could cut them to size when we were at IKEA but I am afraid of water intrusion as you suggested.  I only got 4 panels to play with, one for the inside of each door and one for the side of the tank.

We have the standard pegboard in the garage, will compare once we start working with them.  The main feature is they have a smooth black finish that I believe will match the stand pretty well, nicely rounded corners, and some helpful accessories that are proprietary.  I wanted to get the bungee straps but they did not have them in a matching color in stock... I hope to run a grid along the back side that cords can pass through to help wrangle the wires.  Will need to stop back in and pick these up at a later time.

Ideally someone would make these out of PVC like the Adaptive Reef controller boards so they could be drilled and sanded. 

The ones I have seen are a glossy white plastic, brittle and didn't seem like they could be drilled or cut easily - but it has been nearly 10 years since I checked.  HD doesn't list the material, I should investigate though.  I avoided getting boards for the inside of the stand as I didn't want salt spray to damage them, but maybe someone is making exactly what I was hoping for!

When I setup my tank, I had access to 1/2" HDPE/SeaBoard, and used it as the surface between the tank and the metal stand.  (instead of plywood).  Not cheap, but fully drillable, cuttable, etc.

Little googling leads me to HDPE, SeaBoard, StarBoard names.   (I'll bet I have Marine Starboard)

There is no way 1/2" would be needed for a controller board, etc.   it's strong stuff.  thinner would work

Less than 1/2” for sure if desired.  The Adaptive boards are 1/2” expanded pvc which is nice as you can attach things with wood screws - I am not sure they would get solid purchase in something thinner.

i ran starboard in my 125 bare bottom years ago and it was pretty heavy, that was probably 1/2” or so.  I think our cutting boards at work are around 3/8” which are not unwieldy.

Edited by Krux