how to get rid of aiptasia anemone growing in a sump

sontdo

Is there anything else in your sump? If not, just drain it and scrape the sides. Then use a shop vac and clean it the rest of the way. I do this once a month.

If you have rock or other things in your sump, a pep shrimp would work for the smaller ones. They don't touch the large ones. Some kalk paste will do the trick.

IME kalk works very good and is cheap. If your going to have to buy kalk just to make the kalk paste (the white goo on the bottom of the cup your disolving the kalk in) then you might as well buy Joe's Juice as it is easier IME.

I have tried vinegar, lighters, and lemon juice, but IME kalk and Joe's is the easiest. With lemon juice, vinegar, and boiling water you really have to get the fluid into the mouth of the aiptasia and of course when you get close to them they retract, making it difficult IMHO.

If you want to go the biological route pep's work good on aipies. I keep quite a few in my system as they provide food every 18 days or so. So if your going with pep's, I'd get a few.

HTH

IME kalk works very good and is cheap. If your going to have to buy kalk just to make the kalk paste (the white goo on the bottom of the cup your disolving the kalk in) then you might as well buy Joe's Juice as it is easier IME.

I have tried vinegar, lighters, and lemon juice, but IME kalk and Joe's is the easiest. With lemon juice, vinegar, and boiling water you really have to get the fluid into the mouth of the aiptasia and of course when you get close to them they retract, making it difficult IMHO.

If you want to go the biological route pep's work good on aipies. I keep quite a few in my system as they provide food every 18 days or so. So if your going with pep's, I'd get a few.

HTH

I am glad you have had success with kalk paste. To me, most of it bubbles away before I can get it in a syringe or the likes. The lemon juice was by far the easiest...no mixing, no waste and 1st time killer! I use it on the majanos I have lingering around as well. Again...pick up a 10 pack of insulin syringes, a plastic lemon from the grocery store and bada bang....I fill the cap of the syringe (from the plunger side) half full of juice...pop it in the micro for 10 secs, draw it up and inject away...I have NOT one of those little buggers left.

Kris

If I remember right, aiptasia can be beneficial in a sump for filtration. I dont know how to post links, but there is a good thread on RC(I think) about this. Try to google aiptasia in sumps or something like that. If you really want them gone, any of the above suggestions have worked well for me in the past.